cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eladef
Level 7

Set component destination to a varible and location of files

Hi

I have Basic MSI project with InstallShield 2018 SP1.
Beside files installed under INSTALLDIR several files are installed on dynamic folder according to user selection, the component destination is set to a variable being set during run time in InstallScript.
When creating the setup since the setup files are not compressed a folder with the variable name is being created with the files in it, the problem is I have several components like this so I get many folders which I want to avoid.

Is there a way to put all these special files under a single folder ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @eladef ,

If i get your question correctly,you are trying to set specific component's INSTALLDIR to variable via Installscript.

• Can you tell us how are you setting it?
  • If you are setting explicitly for component's INSTALLDIR,it will behave with separate folders only
  • Hope you aren't changing INSTALLDIR's value here.Is that correct?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi

I have set component destination to a InstallDirRoot folder which the directory identifier is set to INSTALLDIRROOT,  in the installscript I set it using MsiSetProperty then when I create the setup I see the InstalldirRoot folder with the file in it.
Is it the right way to do that ?

Now since I have several similar components when creating the setup it contains several folders like InstalldirRoot.

0 Kudos

Hi @eladef ,

• You can set like this if you want to set INSTALLDIR dynamically.But it shouldn't vary  for all components meaning each component creates new directory type.
  • You can set single directory identifier where all components can go and sit which might be based on your product requirement.
  • By doing which you can avoid multiple directories been created

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos