cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph
Level 8

Service not starting when silent install

I'm using a basic msi project in Installshield 2008 Premier.

I install with this project a service via the buildin Install NT Services and Control NT Services functionality.

When I run the installer in full ui mode, everythings works fine. The service is installed and running correctly at the end of the installation.

When I run the install silently(setup.exe /v" /qn") however, the service is installed but the status is "starting"(and not started as I expected). :eek:

Rebooting the system doesn't solve the problem. Instead, I get a service provider error when the logon screen appears. And this is introduced by the fact that the service is not started correctly.

I also have no possibility to stop or start the service from the service control manager.

Can someone explain me, or give a hint, what influence a silent install has on the installation of a service?

Thanks for any information

Christoph.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christoph
Level 8

Other question:
did anyone ever managed to install a NTService(using the buildin service install functionality of InstallShield) silently with Installshield 2008?

If so, it would mean that our service is maybe not completely correct and we can look further...

Thx!
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

Christoph wrote:
Other question:
did anyone ever managed to install a NTService(using the buildin service install functionality of InstallShield) silently with Installshield 2008?

If so, it would mean that our service is maybe not completely correct and we can look further...

Thx!

Most likely there is any issue with the NT service that you are trying to install. I do install services silently as well as in normal mode.

if your project is MSI Installscript then you could use something like ServiceStartService(SERVICENAME,"") to start your service at the end of installation OnFirstUIAfter.

I think you could use ServiceStartService in MSI only projects as well.
HTH
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

All,

forget this question.
It was a mistake from my side...

Some registry value that was not propulated when running in silent install... resulting in a non starting NTService. 😮
0 Kudos