cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Service install fails on Win 2008 server

Hello,

I have a Basic MSI package which installs a service.

The installation works fine on WinXP, Vista, Win 7 machines, but trying it on a Win 2008 server it fails and rolls back. The error says:

InstallServices: Service:
Info 1923.Service
(My_Service) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
Action ended 16:18:31: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

We installed the service manually ( /service) and it worked.

The service settings (from IS2010 Components / service properties) are:

Service Type: Win32 that runs in its own process (I also tried the shared setting)
Interact with Desktop: NO
Dependencies: RpcSs

(no user/password, params)

Any idea what could go wrong?

Thanks,
Ioan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Not applicable

Ioanb22 wrote:
Info 1923.Service
(My_Service) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

I just find out that the same failure happened on 3 different WinXP SP3 machines. So it's not Server 2008 specific, but a particular configuration setup.

I still hope that a IS master can give me an idea!

Thanks,
Ioan
0 Kudos
mahdiprog
Level 4

I have the same problem on Windows Server 2008 R2
0 Kudos
nsraja
Level 2

This can happen for various reasons....
1. Service Control Manager is holding on to some resources
2. You have services.msc open when installing. This seems to be a new problem on latest windows editions.
3. Or your service is holding on to some resource.

In these cases the installer will mark a service for deletion. It will happen in the next reboot cycle, until then you can not re-install a service in its place.

Basically Windows Installer is unable to delete the old service or something to do with the service is still held in use and MSI is getting "access denied", which it reflects to you as "insufficient priviliges".

You can detect this by looking in the Service registry key under hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\\DeleteFlag:1

You can prompt for a reboot if you are uninstalling and reinstalling. This is usually the case in a development environment but hardly a customer scenario. But it can get nasty during major upgrade because major upgrades are uninstall + install in an atomic operation. So in case of an upgrade you can delete this value so upgrade can go through and you must restart the machine when upgrade completes.

email raja at featureoneinc.com for more help.
0 Kudos
moshpit86
Level 2

Ioanb22 wrote:
Hello,

I have a Basic MSI package which installs a service.

The installation works fine on WinXP, Vista, Win 7 machines, but trying it on a Win 2008 server it fails and rolls back. The error says:

Info 1923.Service

We installed the service manually ( /service) and it worked.

The service settings (from IS2010 Components / service properties) are:

Service Type: Win32 that runs in its own process (I also tried the shared setting)
Interact with Desktop: NO
Dependencies: RpcSs

(no user/password, params)

Any idea what could go wrong?

Thanks,
Ioan

I have the same issue using InstallShield 2016 Express. The service installs fine on Windows 7/8/8.1/Server 2012/Server 2012R2 but it won't install on Windows Server 2008/Server 2008 R2. I have tried lots of things, including the ways to solve the issue posted here but non of them seems to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Greetz
0 Kudos