cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nealc
Level 4

Server 2016 Installation fails DismEnableFeatures

We have an installation we have been working on for Windows 7, Server 2008-2012 and now we needed to test and validate on Server 2016. Installer works great on all the listed platforms but on Server 2016 it just craps out when it gets to enabling windows features. In the setup log from the install suite I see it says Failed to look up DismFeatureGetInfo ('ServerCore-FullServer') as well as some other messages. This is not even a feature we have in the list of features to enable so I am not sure where in the hell installshield is getting this from.

5-5-2017[07:25:56 AM]: Stage parcel status: 0
5-5-2017[07:25:57 AM]: No Windows features associated with parcel '{D3C742E6-45DB-4895-9A20-707C33C582E8}'
5-5-2017[07:25:57 AM]: No Windows features associated with parcel '{2A68F5B5-F6AF-428F-A3CC-349DD0A7F190}'
5-5-2017[07:25:57 AM]: No Windows features associated with parcel '{F29A0366-71CA-42B0-8DBC-27BAFE1592C3}'
5-5-2017[07:25:57 AM]: Getting feature list for initial feature items 'NetFx3;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Multicast;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-CGI;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-FTPExtensibility;IIS-FTPServer;IIS-FTPSvc;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HostableWebCore;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-Metabase;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ODBCLogging;IIS-Performance;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-WebDAV;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-WindowsActivationService'
5-5-2017[07:25:57 AM]: Engine: request for proxy handler, 0, 1
5-5-2017[07:26:00 AM]: Failed to look up DismFeatureGetInfo ('ServerCore-FullServer'): error 0x800f080c, 'Feature name ServerCore-FullServer is unknown.
'
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Windows Feature 'Server-Gui-Mgmt' state: 4
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: CWindowsFeatureParcel::IsWindows2012ServerCore result: 0x00000000
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Getting feature items for OS version 1000 (Server Core)
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Final feature list for current item is: NetFx3;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Multicast;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-CGI;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-FTPExtensibility;IIS-FTPServer;IIS-FTPSvc;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HostableWebCore;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-Metabase;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ODBCLogging;IIS-Performance;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-WebDAV;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-Security;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-WindowsActivationService
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Installing Windows features for parcel 'Nexus'...
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Engine: property 'ISInstallStatus' value now 'Installing Windows features/roles...'
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Engine: property 'ISParcelStatus' value now ''
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: CWindowsFeatureParcel::Install: using DismAPI on Windows 8 or newer
5-5-2017[07:26:01 AM]: Engine: request for proxy handler, 0, 1
5-5-2017[07:26:03 AM]: No source paths specified for DismEnableFeature
5-5-2017[07:26:22 AM]: Failed to DismEnableFeature (NetFx3;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Multicast;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-CGI;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-FTPExtensibility;IIS-FTPServer;IIS-FTPSvc;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HostableWebCore;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-Metabase;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ODBCLogging;IIS-Performance;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-WebDAV;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-Security;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-WindowsActivationService): error 0xc004000d, 'One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled.
'
5-5-2017[07:26:23 AM]: CWindowsFeatureParcel::CallDismApi result: 0xc004000d
5-5-2017[07:26:23 AM]: Windows feature install result status: 0xc004000d
5-5-2017[07:26:23 AM]: Failed installing Windows features for parcel 'Nexus', error 0xc004000d
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(25) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

Microsoft warns not to get all cozy with their Programs and Features since they are free to alter them at any time. You are getting a little too cozy there sir.

Chad
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Chad has a point... Microsoft can and DOES change this stuff. For example, Desktop Experience is baked in to Server 2016 and is therefore not available when you Get-Features'. So I find that I sometimes need to do different things depending on the OS.

What kind of project?
Are you doing this with an event in a Suite project?
A custom action in a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project?
Can we see the DISM command line you are using?

If you open a CMD prompt and do this on both Server 2012 and Server 2016:
dism /online /get-features | find /i "servercore"
You will see that 'ServerCore-FullServer' exists for Server 2012... but not for Server 2016.
Perhaps 'ServerCore-FullServer' is specified in your DISM command; or a child of 'ServerCore-FullServer' is specified.

Take a look at the DISM log in
C:\Windows\Logs\DISM
to see if that offers any help.

Also note that in Server 2016 you must run DISM as Administrator.
Let us know what you find.
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

chad.petersen wrote:
Microsoft warns not to get all cozy with their Programs and Features since they are free to alter them at any time. You are getting a little too cozy there sir.

Chad

Unfortunately all of these features are required for our software to run.

This is a suite installer, the windows features are listed in the package features requirement list. The installer ran the Dism command so I am not able to get the command line. I will check the logs and post their contents shortly.
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

chad.petersen wrote:

Chad

Unfortunately all of these features are required for our software to run.

This is a suite installer, the windows features are listed in the package features requirement list. The installer ran the Dism command so I am not able to get the command line. I will check the logs and post their contents shortly.
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Ya, DISM is to be used for image preparation prior to coloning - it's not supposed to be used for altering someone's running system. If I were evaluating a piece of software and it messed with my Windows Features then I would drop that product and move on to others. Now, if it is an internal IT department effort then that's another thing - but PLEASE don't be altering some random customer system. That's just rude - what's the old saying - "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" - applies equally well to computer deployments.

Chad
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

chad.petersen wrote:
Ya, DISM is to be used for image preparation prior to coloning - it's not supposed to be used for altering someone's running system. If I were evaluating a piece of software and it messed with my Windows Features then I would drop that product and move on to others. Now, if it is an internal IT department effort then that's another thing - but PLEASE don't be altering some random customer system. That's just rude - what's the old saying - "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" - applies equally well to computer deployments.

Chad

We are not modifying a running system, this gets installed onto brand new computers, IT staff asked that we incorporate all these things into our installer so they do not spend all day attempting to configure a machine. In order for our software to run we need to enable all of the listed windows features.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

As usual... another good point Chad!

I probably should have mentioned that our application is not just another app on any users machine. Our app runs on a server that is dedicated for use as a server for our particular product only. In fact we almost always install and setup everything on the computer... including Windows Roles and Features prior to doing this install. There is one additional Feature that I enable on install of our app.

So consider Chad's suggestion in the context of your application.
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Sounds good guys. I just error on the side of caution since all of our products are geared toward the financial sector and we have more lawyers on staff than developers. In your case, have at it!! Just be aware that there are no guarantees in this area of Windows. Not sure there are any guarantees at all....lol.

Chad
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

Not sure what to be looking for in the Dism log, no errors but I see:

DISM Package Manager: PID=1384 TID=1648 Feature Server-Gui-Mgmt_onecore with CBS state 0 (CbsInstallStateAbsent) being mapped to dism state 0(DISM_INSTALL_STATE_NOTPRESENT).

This is yet another package that we are not trying to enable so why is it being looked for?

I have attached the Dism log.

0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

What kind of project?

Open a CMD prompt and execute your DISM command from there on both Server 2012 and Server 2016 and see what the result is from there.
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

rguggisberg wrote:
What kind of project?

Open a CMD prompt and execute your DISM command from there on both Server 2012 and Server 2016 and see what the result is from there.

Installshield does not provide me with the command line it ran (really stupid they wouldn't log the commands they are issuing to the os) so I do not have it available and have no experience using Dism myself.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

nealc@swisslog wrote:
Installshield does not provide me with the command line it ran (really stupid they wouldn't log the commands they are issuing to the os) so I do not have it available and have no experience using Dism myself.

You probably have a Custom Action or a Suite Event that is doing this. Is it your project or one you inherited?
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

rguggisberg wrote:
You probably have a Custom Action or a Suite Event that is doing this. Is it your project or one you inherited?

This is a suite install. The features are part of the features list of a package that the suite will install. I inherited this installer from a previous developer.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

OK. My guess is that you will find a DISM command in either an Event, or in the InstallScript code (if there is any). If those areas have a lot of stuff in there (making it difficult to find stuff) you can search these:
1. Open the .issuite file with Notepad and search for DISM. That will get you to the event.
2. Use Notepad to open the Installscript file (typically setup.rul) in the Scripts folder a level or 2 below your .issuite file. Search for DISM in there.

If you find anything in either of the above... copy the DISM command so you can execute it from a CMD prompt. Go back to InstallShield GUI to make any changes (safer).
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

rguggisberg wrote:
What kind of project?

Nope nothing. In a suite project go to Packages.

Select a package and on the right there is Windows Features, this is where we define which features are needed for the package.

There is no script associated with this nor is there any event. If you specify features here installshield will generate the Dism command that it runs (and does not log)
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Deleting post... misunderstood last post.
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

rguggisberg wrote:
Those are NOT Windows Features. Those are your Features. I will almost guarantee that you are barking up the wrong tree!
Try installing the packages manually outside of the suite... one at a time and find the culprit. I bet you will find one of the packages has a CA that is doing it. Or all of the packages yours?

You need to look at a suite project again. It clearly states WINDOWS FEATURES, with the help text of: This setting lets you specify one or more Windows role and features that the selected package requires be enabled on a target system that have Windows vista or Windows Server 2008........

We have some MS packages (Net framework, windows imaging, windows installer, sql server) and our package here. Only our package has dependencies on features or roles.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

You are right. I was looking farther up where there are "Common" and "Feature" Tabs.
Deleted my previous post.
0 Kudos
nealc
Level 4

So from a Server 2012R2 Install:

5-5-2017[01:16:27 PM]: Getting feature list for initial feature items 'NetFx3;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Multicast;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-CGI;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-FTPExtensibility;IIS-FTPServer;IIS-FTPSvc;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HostableWebCore;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-Metabase;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ODBCLogging;IIS-Performance;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-WebDAV;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-WindowsActivationService'
5-5-2017[01:16:27 PM]: Engine: request for proxy handler, 0, 1
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Windows Feature 'ServerCore-FullServer' state: 4
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Windows Feature 'Server-Gui-Mgmt' state: 4
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: CWindowsFeatureParcel::IsWindows2012ServerCore result: 0x00000000
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Getting feature items for OS version 0603 (Server)
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Final feature list for current item is: NetFx3ServerFeatures;NetFx3;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Multicast;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-CGI;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-FTPExtensibility;IIS-FTPServer;IIS-FTPSvc;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HostableWebCore;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-Metabase;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ODBCLogging;IIS-Performance;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-WebDAV;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-Security;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-WindowsActivationService
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Installing Windows features for parcel 'Nexus'...
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Engine: property 'ISInstallStatus' value now 'Installing Windows features/roles...'
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Engine: property 'ISParcelStatus' value now ''
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: CWindowsFeatureParcel::Install: using DismAPI on Windows 8 or newer
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Engine: request for proxy handler, 0, 1
5-5-2017[01:16:33 PM]: No source paths specified for DismEnableFeature
5-5-2017[01:18:34 PM]: CWindowsFeatureParcel::CallDismApi result: 0x00000000
5-5-2017[01:18:34 PM]: Windows feature install result status: 0x00000000

As you can see its detecting the features:
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Windows Feature 'ServerCore-FullServer' state: 4 <---- I believe this is the offender, it exists in 2012 but not 2016
5-5-2017[01:16:32 PM]: Windows Feature 'Server-Gui-Mgmt' state: 4

However the install for Server2016 does not find these as part of the systems features:

5-4-2017[08:00:16 AM]: Getting feature list for initial feature items 'NetFx3;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Multicast;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-CGI;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-FTPExtensibility;IIS-FTPServer;IIS-FTPSvc;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HostableWebCore;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-Metabase;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ODBCLogging;IIS-Performance;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-WebDAV;IIS-WebServer;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-WindowsActivationService'
5-4-2017[08:00:16 AM]: Engine: request for proxy handler, 0, 1
5-4-2017[08:00:22 AM]: Failed to look up DismFeatureGetInfo ('ServerCore-FullServer'): error 0x800f080c, 'Feature name ServerCore-FullServer is unknown.
'
5-4-2017[08:00:22 AM]: Windows Feature 'Server-Gui-Mgmt' state: 4

I believe this is the reason it is failing. I removed all features and tried the install by enabling them all on the server and it still fails, thus I believe this is a Server 2016 issue.
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Overall this sounds like a job for SysPrep

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721940(v=ws.10).aspx

But, in your case, if you want to continue down this path - it could be something so simple as Microsoft changing the internal name of the Feature. Look at the Installshield help for what you are looking at and it says this. Notice the error is the same as in your last post.

Availability of Windows Roles and Features on Various Versions of Windows

The support for enabling Windows roles and features is available for target systems that have Windows Vista or later or Windows Server 2008 or later. The list of Windows roles and features that can be enabled on a given target system varies, depending on the version of Windows that is present. In addition, different versions of Windows may use different strings for the same role or feature.

If a Suite/Advanced UI installation attempts to enable a Windows role or feature that is not available on a target system, the Suite/Advanced UI installation fails and writes error 0x800f080c in the log file.

0 Kudos