cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

SecurCustomProperties Usage Question...

Hi all,

It's been a while. Hope all had a great Holiday Season.

So, I have an immediate custom action, which runs from a UI button click and grabs a value from an XML file and sets a PUBLIC property to that value. I then want to run a custom action condition to run if the PUBLIC property has been populated or has a value and also pass the property to the widget as a parameter. Do I have to add this property to SecureCustomProperties?

The install runs elevated requiring Admin rights.

If I do have to add it to SecureCustomProperties, do I have to seed the PUBLIC property in the Property table (I will not set a value) or can I just add the Property name to SCP?

Any help appreciated.

I'm thinking I have to add to Property table, add to SCP, and then things will work.

Over the years I am often confused with using SCP or CustomActionData. I think in all the years I've been tasked with creating installs, I've only used CustomActionData a few times. The majority of install tasks just work or seem to work if added to SCP.

Thanks for any clarification, tips, etc.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Yes, if you set a public property in the UI sequence and need to use it in the Execute sequence, it always has to go in the list of SecureCustomProperties
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Cary R wrote:
Yes, if you set a public property in the UI sequence and need to use it in the Execute sequence, it always has to go in the list of SecureCustomProperties

In this latest scenario, I have an immediate MSI dll custom action which checks an XML file for certain values. If found a PROPERTY is created and populated with its value. I do not, as far as I know, add this PROPERTY to SecureCustomProperties at runtime.

I then have a custom action which runs in the deferred sequence of the install (SYSTEM context) only if the PROPERTY is found (<>"", or populated with a value). The custom action also then consumes the value of the PROPERTY as it is passed to the widget as a parameter.

Everything seems to work as expected. Again, I am not adding the expected property spoke of to the Property table before building, I don't add to SecureCustomProperties at runtime via some custom action, and I did not use CustomActionData.

So, why is everything working? How/Why do I have access to this PUBLIC property. When the nonexistent property is created and populated if the xml data is found, is it automatically being added to the list of SecureCustomProperties?
0 Kudos