cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

SUITE project: Request for Reboot

I am seeing some strange behavior for my main MSI application that is incorporated in a SUITE / Advanced UI project.
On a first install when the MSI package gets to the validate install it returns the message "The setup must update files or services that cannot be updated while the system is running. If you choose to continue, a reboot will be required to complete the setup". This is the standard 1610 return code.

For this install I ensure that all services are stopped before InstallValidate executes. There should not be anything in use during this process.

I have noted that this only occurs on Windows Vista and Server 2008.

For the suite project, I asked it to 'ignore the reboot request'. Nevertheless the message still shows on these operating systems. This occurs even on a clean system that has never seen the application.

For all other operating systems everything is fine for the first install. For remove and repair however, the message appears even though I have set 'Ignore the reboot request'.

In all test cases the reboot request seems to be in error. On all machines I ensure that Windows Installer 4.5 is installed.

It is only my primary MSI that exhibits this behavior.

How do I get the Suite project to truly ignore the reboot request on all operating systems?
Note that I did try the Delay option first and then tried this ignore option. It is almost as if the setup does not check this property at all.

Also note that I do not have a test install where I can replicate this behavior easily. For instance a test install that includes Orca.msi as my primary package will execute successfully without prompting and without having to alter the default reboot settings.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

I tried adding the command line option REBOOT=ReallySuppress to each of the command line options but it does not have an effect on repair mode. I have not checked out the Remove option.

Note that the event viewer shows the following as the issue for requesting a reboot. No matter how many times I restart, these will show up in the event viewer:
Application 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' (pid 3016) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
Application 'C:\Users\DLee\Downloads\ac.exe' (pid 2668) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
Application 'C:\Users\DLee\Downloads\ac.exe' (pid 1828) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
Then I get the following: Machine restart is required.

So it looks like it fails because of my executable, two instances of it, and the msiexec. Because this is a basic MSI I cannot alter the requirements of the package. All I can do is guess is that this is a faulty check of the validation process because these files are essential to the process itself.

UPDATE: I tried adding REBOOT 'ReallySuppress' to the property table of the MSI and it does not correct the behavior either. This is crazy.
0 Kudos