cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

SUITE Project - MakeCab.exe shows during first install

On a fairly clean Windows 7 Home Basic SP1 system (x64) I am seeing the makecab.exe cmd window show up during the first transactional process.
I have my package configured to support Windows Installer 4.5 and included the following packages in the first transaction:

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Web Download)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Full (Web Download)
  • SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (32-bit)
  • Microsoft XML Parser 4sp3

The makecab.exe will NOT always execute even in the same exact test environment, running with the same package. I cannot determine what triggers it. I just want to be sure that I am not doing something wrong with my package configuration.
I have two more transactions
Transaction 2 only includes Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express SP1 configured for our specific instance (x86 & x64Wow)
Transaction 3 includes:

• VB6Runtime
  • Easy HL7 Runtime Distribution
  • Our main application MSI installer

When the makecab.exe appears, it always appears during the first transaction.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
What can I look for to see what triggers it?
The debuglog for the suite package does not mention it.

Thank you for any direction you can provide concerning this.

Respectfully,
Daniel Lee
Release Engineer, Amazing Charts
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't believe there's anything in the Suite run time that would invoke makecab, unless you had created a package or action that does so. So my guess is one of the following:

• A package you run is (sometimes) invoking makecab
  • The installation of a package is (sometimes) triggering makecab elsewhere
  • Windows is, for some unknown reason, occasionally running makecab and it happens to (sometimes) overlap your test

Depending on how long it lasts, it might be easiest to diagnose these by running process explorer and walking the process tree while makecab is running. If it's only briefly there, you might have to instead use Process Monitor, or find some tool that can get a snapshot, to track down who launched makecab (and possibly who launched that, etc.). Once the launcher is identified, it usually becomes a lot easier to figure out why it's launched.
0 Kudos