cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

SQL Server Browse Dialog Blank on Win Server 2012

Hi All,

I have a Basic MSI project that includes a SQL Db connection dialog. On Windows Server 2008 R2, when I browse to see SQL Servers the list is populated. When I run the same install on Windows Server 2012, the browse produces a blank list. What is wrong. Is the InstallShield 2015 SQL mechanism not supported on Server 2012? Or is there some type of network discovery that needs to be enabled on Server 2012?

I am able to manually enter the server, user, pswd and the Database browse does show valid databases on the entered server.

A network setting of some kind has to be at play because I am seeing some strange behavior in setting a user in the Logon Information dialogs (Server not found, etc).

Thanks in Advance!!!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
rguggisberg
Level 13

The browser service is disabled by default on Server 2012. Starting that might get you going. See my post here.
https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?218628-Connecting-SQL-to-Network-Server&highlight=browser+service

I encountered this for an InstallScript MSI project. I can look to see what I did when I am work tomorrow if you are still having trouble 12 hours from now.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

So I go to Services and enable the Computer Browser service. Set to automatic and started, but don't know if that's necessary.

I still can't see anything in the SQL browse results dialog and can't get past Logon Information. After making sure network discovery was on, I'm able to get past the logon info, but still no SQL servers found.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Did you also look at the SO link that was in my link? To get it working I replaced sdLogonUserInformation with SQLServerLogin.
The former had browse capability that did not work because it depends on Computer Browser service which is disabled by default on Server 2012 and also is dependent on a number of other things. And the service may not get started until a few minutes after reboot!
I then added SQLRTTestConnection to validate the connection.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

rguggisberg wrote:
Did you also look at the SO link that was in my link? To get it working I replaced sdLogonUserInformation with SQLServerLogin.
The former had browse capability that did not work because it depends on Computer Browser service which is disabled by default on Server 2012 and also is dependent on a number of other things. And the service may not get started until a few minutes after reboot!
I then added SQLRTTestConnection to validate the connection.

Yes I read it and it seems like I've done everything except change actions in the install itself. The link seemed to deal with the Logon Information dialogs and I got those working after enabling network discovery and I believe I enabled print sharing as well.

When I initially added the SQL dialogs I was having trouble with the out-of-the-box connection verification so I wrote my own action for that.

I'm assuming the actions you speak of regarding the browse are rooted in the Browse button on the SQL Login dialog. There are a bunch of Set Property actions then ISSQLServerList.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

ahhh, you are using a Basic MSI project and I am using a InstallScript MSI project, so I don't have the Dialog view that you do. See the InstallShield help for info on SQLServerLogin. So the actions I speak of are in OnBegin in InstallScript code.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

I guess I'll just dig into ISSQLServerList to see what that does, uses, etc.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Did you check to see if the ODBC Data Source Administrator on the machine in question gives a list of servers available on your network?

[LIST=1]
  • Launch the Administrative Tools | Data Sources (ODBC) in the Control Panel.
  • Click Add. The Create New Data Source panel should be displayed.
  • Select “SQL Server” and click Finish. The Create a New Data Source to SQL Server wizard should be displayed.
  • Expand the "Server:" dropdown list and observe.

Also, the Tips for Using the SQLBrowse Dialog blog post may help you troubleshoot the problem.
  • 0 Kudos
    Superfreak3
    Level 11

hidenori wrote:
    Did you check to see if the ODBC Data Source Administrator on the machine in question gives a list of servers available on your network?

[LIST=1]
  • Launch the Administrative Tools | Data Sources (ODBC) in the Control Panel.
  • Click Add. The Create New Data Source panel should be displayed.
  • Select “SQL Server” and click Finish. The Create a New Data Source to SQL Server wizard should be displayed.
  • Expand the "Server:" dropdown list and observe.

Also, the Tips for Using the SQLBrowse Dialog blog post may help you troubleshoot the problem.

• Server list blank there too. Thanks so much for that info, which pretty much rules out any InstallShield issue. There has to be some network setting I'm missing.

I'll check out the tips link as well.

Thanks Again!
    0 Kudos