cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raymondo9
Level 3

SQL Server 2008 Install Script Project (How to)

Any one have any luck with this. I have found nothing on how to do this and looks like I am going to have to 'roll my own' again ?:eek:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
TheTraveler
Level 8

What are you trying to do?

Install your product database in SQL 2008?
Modify the database in SQL 2008?
Install SQL Server 2008 express edition?
0 Kudos
raymondo9
Level 3

I would say divide and conquer,,,,

First install SQL2008 Express via the install script.
I probably can figure out how to install our db once that is done.
Down the road accept ugrades etc.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

I would highly recommend that you leave the SQL Server 2008 Express installation within the Microsoft installation. You see, if you use it in a module, it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs. Furthermore, if there is a patch, then you are responsible for creating the patch. We put the installation onto our CD and use command line parameters to install SQL Server.

As for installing the Database when it is installed, I created a set of ADO objects within Install Shield script that connects to the database and run a set of SQL statements. Now, Install Shield (IS) already contains the ability to run SQL versus SQL Server Database. I run it by hand for other reasons. If you like to know what they are, let me know. In the meantime, here is a link that shows a brief example on how to use ADO objects in install shield script.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

Here is another link that might interest you. You are not alone in what you were trying to do.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos