cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DLee65
Pilgrim

SQL Script does not execute from alternate user account

I have a MSI installer that has two sql scripts. The first runs during uninstall and just drops two database files. The second runs on install and attaches the updated mdf & ldf files.

If I upgrade using the same user profile used to install the application, then the script executes and correctly drops the two databases.
If I switch to a different user, with either an admin or standard user account, and try to upgrade, then the script is not scheduled to execute.

I looked at the script, there are no conditions on the script. The script is also associated with a component. The component is flagged for install under both user accounts.

Below is the failed attempt under a new user account:
MSI (s) (08:AC) [14:50:31:199]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=ISSQLServerUninstall,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=ISSQLServerUninstall,CustomActionData=C:\Users\cburns\AppData\Local\Temp\~A04C.tmp)
MSI (s) (08:98) [14:50:31:214]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIF1D3.tmp, Entrypoint: ISSQLServerUninstall
1: Processing the SQL connection 'AMAZINGCHARTS'...
1: Determining if there is at least one SQL script scheduled to execute under the connection...
1: The SQL script 'SqlScript.sql' is not scheduled to execute. Script Execution=RunOnInstall, Action=Uninstall, Component State=None, Schema=
1: The SQL script 'SqlScript1.sql' is not scheduled to execute. Script Execution=RunOnUninstall, Action=Uninstall, Component State=None, Schema=
1: No SQL scripts scheduled to execute under the connection...Skip.
MSI (s) (08:AC) [14:50:31:230]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=ISSQLServerRemoveLoginInfo,,)
1: Skip the SQL connection 'AMAZINGCHARTS'. There is no script to execute under this connection.

And here is the excerpt when running under the same user account.
MSI (s) (A4Smiley Very Happy4) [11:05:33:727]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI749A.tmp, Entrypoint: ISSQLServerUninstall
1: Processing the SQL connection 'AMAZINGCHARTS'...
1: Determining if there is at least one SQL script scheduled to execute under the connection...
1: The SQL script 'SqlScript.sql' is not scheduled to execute. Script Execution=RunOnInstall, Action=Uninstall, Component State=Uninstall, Schema=
1: The SQL script 'SqlScript1.sql' is scheduled to execute. Note that the final decision will be made later if you have a schema version specified for this script. Script Execution=RunOnUninstall, Action=Uninstall, Component State=Uninstall, Schema=
1: Attempting to establish the SQL connection... Server: (local)\AMAZINGCHARTS, Database: master
1: Attempting to execute SQL scripts...
1: Determining if the SQL script 'SqlScript1.sql' will be executed...
1: The SQL script will be executed because no schema version is found on the target database.
1: Prepare executing SQL script file: 'SqlScript1.sql'. Path: 'C:\Users\QAADMI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\~239E.tmp'
1: Executing SQL at Line 13 >>>
1: Changed database context to 'master'.
1: No more results.
1: Executing SQL at Line 28 >>>
1: Executing SQL at Line 41 >>>
MSI (s) (A4:40) [11:05:34:227]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=ISSQLServerRemoveLoginInfo,,)
1: Finish executing SQL script file: 'SqlScript1.sql'
MSI (s) (A4:40) [11:05:34:227]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=ISSQLServerRemoveLoginInfo,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=ISSQLServerRemoveLoginInfo,CustomActionData=C:\Users\QAADMI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\~237D.tmp)
MSI (s) (A4:8C) [11:05:34:227]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI768F.tmp, Entrypoint: ISSQLServerRemoveLoginInfo

I am using InstallShield 2016 Premier
Tests have been replicated under Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 10.
All of our installs are per-machine installs and do not support sxs installs.
Our customers need to have a consistent upgrade experience no matter which user profile they use for upgrade. So far I have not found a smoking gun why the sql script only executes under the same user profile that installed the app originally.

MSI Log file:
Log file excerpt showing components flagged for install:
MSI (s) (08:78) [14:50:02:886]: Component: dbCodes; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (08:78) [14:50:02:886]: Component: dbMeds; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChiangMai
Pilgrim

Re: SQL Script does not execute from alternate user account

Di?n ?àn tuy?t v?i nh? này mà bây h mình m?i biêt
0 Kudos
DLee65
Pilgrim

ChiangMai wrote:
Di?n ?àn tuy?t v?i nh? này mà bây h mình m?i biêt

Ha! I think something was lost in translation.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Pilgrim

UPDATE: While parsing through the log files, I noticed that there is a difference in detecting the state of the feature when logged in under a different user profile.
Good log: Feature: NoRemovalDatabases; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Absent
Bad Log : Feature: NoRemovalDatabases; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

So, just after InstallValidate event, the feature is not recognized as installed, a state I did not expect since ALLUSERS = 1.

Looking further, I see something different. Components of that feature appear to be installed, but the request and action state varies.
Good Log: Component: dbMeds; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Absent
Bad Log : Component: dbMeds; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null

I do suspect that something is wrong with my MSI that causes the behavior.
Now to investigate how the MSI determines if a feature is installed or not.

UPDATE: For some reason the component state is not right when trying to upgrade using a different component. Below is the comparison.
Good log: The SQL script 'SqlScript1.sql' is scheduled to execute. Note that the final decision will be made later if you have a schema version specified for this script. Script Execution=RunOnUninstall, Action=Uninstall, Component State=Uninstall, Schema=
Bad Log: The SQL script 'SqlScript1.sql' is not scheduled to execute. Script Execution=RunOnUninstall, Action=Uninstall, Component State=None, Schema=

What I do not understand is how running this same upgrade under a different user profile affects the component state? Any ideas?
0 Kudos
DLee65
Pilgrim

Solved!

The issue was the feature condition was not true for the RemoveExistingProducts because it is looking for a registry entry in HKCU. Since this is a new user profile, that registry entry does not exist.
The solution is to create a custom action to set this registry key if it does not exist and this is a major upgrade.
0 Kudos