cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csjavi
Level 2

SQL Login dialog / ISSQLServerValidate problem

I have a problem with SQL Login dialog. It's a Basic MSI project. First the main installer handled the database installation. Then the database installation was moved to a chained MSI that the main installer launches. The chained MSI is launched without UI. The main installer has to get the SQL login information and then pass it to the chained MSI. I removed the SQL scripts from the main installer but left the SQL connection in it. The SQL Login dialog should only be displayed if a certain feature is selected. So, I moved the dialog after the Custom Setup dialog and after the Setup Type dialog if the complete setup is chosen.

The complete setup works fine. Installing the database feature on the first install, then uninstalling and installing it again through modify works. If I first install without the database feature and then modify to install the database feature, I get this error message

Error 27502. Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server ''. [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access is denied. (17)

It seems that the property IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER is emptied by the custom action ISSQLServerValidate. What's going on?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

In the maintenance, upgrade, and uninstallation, InstallShield is trying to use the SQL login information specified in the initial installation. You need to turn off this behavior by setting 1 to the IS_SQLSERVER_DO_NOT_USE_REG Windows Installer property before the ISSQLServerInitialize action is called, and specify valid SQL login information in the maintenance mode.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
csjavi
Level 2

Thanks, that worked.
0 Kudos
Fred_Besterwitc
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
In the maintenance, upgrade, and uninstallation, InstallShield is trying to use the SQL login information specified in the initial installation. You need to turn off this behavior by setting 1 to the IS_SQLSERVER_DO_NOT_USE_REG Windows Installer property before the ISSQLServerInitialize action is called, and specify valid SQL login information in the maintenance mode.

Hope that helps.

I still am getting the error. where do I set this (IS_SQLSERVER_DO_NOT_USE_REG) ?
I am trying to connect to remote SQL and I am getting this error. Running Installshield 2010 Professional Ed. Version 16.
0 Kudos