cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaitan00
Level 2

How to determine version of FLASH with InstallShield 2009

I am currently using InstallShield 2009 and one of the required components that needs to be installed in Adobe Flash Player. However, we only want to install it IF it is below a certain version.

For example, if we deploy our InstallShield setup.exe on a system where Flash is not installed we should install version 10.0.32.18 (which is included in the package), however if the system has a version of Flash installed that is newer then 10.0.32.18 we should not attempt to install it.

In the past when I was using Flash9 I would simply check System32\Macromed\Flash\flash9d.ocx version and if it was below 9.0.47.0 then install it - but now with Flash10 things get a little complicated - as I don't know what file to check.

Is there a general way (for all versions) that I can check what Flash is installed, or is there a specific way I can check what version of Flash 10 is installed and if it isn't then just check 9 as I did before?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
HenryL
Level 5

If you already have an existing and working approach to check System32\Macromed\Flash\flash9d.ocx, why can't you check Flash10c.ocx? Well, the problem is that this approach dies when flash 11 available, unless your code is smart to handle flashxxx.ocx.

Maybe you can try to check registry instead:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX]
"DisplayVersion"="10.0.32.18"
0 Kudos