cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wdwhitaker
Level 3

SQL Express 2005 SP3 prerequisite

I searched and found a thread that allowed me to download the prerequisite for sql express 2005 sp3. I took that file and modified it for a silent install, using a named instance and password I identified. I compiled the installation file and tested it. When running the test, upon the SQL Server installation, it did not go silent. It requested instance confirmation and password entry unlike my SP2 installation setup previously. I entered the settings exactly as I had them in the SP2 prerequisite. I am running Version 15 of IS 2009 Express.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Does it work if you launch the Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP3 setup from the Command Prompt?
0 Kudos
wdwhitaker
Level 3

I am able to manually install SQL Express SP3, identifying the instance and sa password myself, if that is what you mean.

Is there a way to test if the setup package is using the prerequisite file that I identified (and customized to add the instance and sa password)?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Sorry, my question was that the Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP3 was silently installed successfully with a desired named instance and sa password if you launched the setup from the Command Prompt (cmd.exe) with specifying the relevant command line options. If it works, please make sure that you specify the correct command line options in your setup prerequisite.

Also, if you select "Download from the Web" for the Prerequisite Location setting, please make sure that you host your own alternate .prq for the customized prerequisite. By defalut, setup.exe will download the Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP3 (x86).prq from the InstallShield file server which does not contain your change. Please see Specifying an Alternate URL for a .prq File help topic for more information.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
wdwhitaker
Level 3

Thanks for your help. I think that will probably be the reason. However, the link that you provided for further information on the setupprerequisite editing is not valid. Could you repost?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The HelpNet server was down this morning. Please try it again and let me know if you still have the problem.
0 Kudos