cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grparsec
Level 7

Compress all files into one .cab file vs. having one cab file per feature

Can someone explain to me What are the benefits of having .cab file per feature in Release Configuration?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The one place I can imagine it being truly advantageous is in downloadable MSIs - you can run msiexec /i http:///some.msi - as having separate cabs per feature allows unselected features' cabs to be omitted from download. To a limited extent, I could imagine trying to extend this to putting together disc images that omitted certain cabs, but that just seems risky.
0 Kudos
grparsec
Level 7

Thanks for the reply Michael. I am working on an MSI project that contains of 9 Features. In Release Confuguration I have it to create one cab file per feature but after the build I end up with only 8 cab files. I am wondering what is happening to the 9th one. Any idea?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Does the last feature contain only components without files in them? If not, is it possible these files' components are also attached to other features? Either of these cases might leave the last cab with no data to include, so it wouldn't be generated. If neither apply, I'm out of easy ideas, and would probably need to reproduce the behavior.
0 Kudos
grparsec
Level 7

Michael, the 9th feature does not have any empty component. It contains of 8 components that are shared with other Features and one component that is specific to this Feature.
0 Kudos
grparsec
Level 7

Michael, one more thing that I wanted to add is that, this project used to make all the 9 cab files before. We moved Installshield on another machine and ran the build and one cab file is missing.
0 Kudos
grparsec
Level 7

I removed the feature from the setup design and recreated it then reuilt and the problem is fixed!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Huh, I can't explain that. If you have a before and after version of the project file, it might be possible to track down any differences (using MsiDiff) to save time if this ever comes back. But I'm definitely glad you found a resolution!
0 Kudos