cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juergen
Level 3

SQL Connection not using SQLLogin properties

I am just trying to create a simple basic msi project in order to create a new database on a ms sql server, but having two issues with that:

1. When running the installation and changing the authentication mode to windows (default is sql) on the SQLLogin Dialogue, the scripts do not run and an error message comes up telling that the sa password is missing.
The SQLLogin dialogue does update the sql properties (checked with msi debugger), but the SQL Connection seems not to recognize that.

2. Trying to create a sql script for inserting data into the new database, the wizard crashes on one table with error message "unknown error (5)"

I am using installshield 2008 prof. german.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Are you receiving the same connection error if you create a new basic MSI project, and only add a SQL connection & an empty SQL script to the project? For the second question, are you talking about the Database Import Wizard? If so, would it be possible for you to create a backup file for the database in question using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and send it to me at hidenoriy@macrovision.com so that I can look into it?
0 Kudos
Juergen
Level 3

I have created a new basic msi project and added an empty sql script.
Running the project in test mode from the ide is ok.
Running the created setup from outsite the ide, brings another error message: "No connection to sql server. Error with the login of user JS1\WDJST1$". But, "JS1\WDJST1$" is the machine name, not the user account that should be used.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Do you see the error when you click the Next button on the SQLLogin dialog, or when attempting to install SQL scripts? Also, are you able to connect to the database using the Windows authentication from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio?
0 Kudos
Juergen
Level 3

I see the error, when the script should be executed.
And yes, I can connect with Windows authentification. That's the nomal authentification method I am using.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please follow the steps below and see if it fixes your problem:

[LIST=1]
  • Go to the Custom Actions view.
  • Right-click on the root node and select "Show All Custom Actions".
  • Change the Exection Scheduling property of the ISSQLServerInstall and SSQLServerUninstall actions from "Derfered execution in system context" to just "Defered execution".
  • Rebuild your setup.
  • 0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

Regarding your database import issue, you seem to have a column that is not supported with ANSI files. The attached is the errors received from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio when I tried to export the data in your database into an ANSI text file. The "Unknown error (5)" will be solved if you choose the Unicode format on the Advanced Scripting Options panel in the InstallShield Database Import Wizard.
    0 Kudos
    Juergen
    Level 3

Changing to Unicode solved that issue.

Many thanks.
    0 Kudos
    Juergen
    Level 3

Changing the custom action to deferred does not solve the issue. I still got the error message "Cannot connect to Microsoft SQL Server (local). Error with login for user 'sa'", although I selected windows authorization mode in the SQL login dialogue.
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

If you select the SQL authentication with providing a valid credential on the SQLLogin dialog, are you able to complete the setup successfully?
    0 Kudos