cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holger_G
Level 10

Running 32bit Setup Prerequisite on x64 leaves MSI traces behind

Hi,

I´ve created a 32bit Basic MSI Setup that contains a Prerequisite.
When I run Setup.exe on Vista 64bit the Prerequisite will be installed. The main MSI installation will be terminated across a LaunchCondition afterwards but something of the MSI database seems to be installed on the machine (checked it with the Windows Install Clean Up tool, and launching my 64bit Setup prompts for Upgrade).
This does not happen if the .msi will be launched directly.

Could this possibly be a IS bug?

(Note: I will not use this scenario in the real world, just for testing purposes)

Holger
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not aware of any reason why your main MSI should become partially installed - it essentially has a LaunchCondition of NOT VersionNT64 right?. Does this prevent later installs, or even put you in repair mode? Does MsiSleuth show any trace of this partially installed product?

(Or are you talking about the prerequisite install, in which case launching the main MSI would obviously skip the prerequisite's installation entirely...)
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

-LaunchCondition is NOT VersionNT64
-Launching the .msi directly does not prevent later installs and does not put them in repair/maintenance mode
-The main MSI becomes only partially installed when launching Setup.exe and the Prerequisite gets installed ( I did not tested it without any Prerequisite yet),
MSI Sleuth reports 'Error Reading Product Information' for that Product.
0 Kudos