cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IncontrolTech
Level 3

Run another setup from SUPPORTDIR

Hi everyone 🙂

I've been searching for a long time now trying all sorts of things but i simply cannot find the solution to my problem.

I have a setup.exe file that i need to run before my installer starts installing. Im not sure if this is the correct approach but this is what i have done so far.

I've added the setup.exe file (and all the other files it needs to run) into the Support Files/Language Independent area. Then under custom actions i've added a launch executable action where the location is "Stored in the directory table". Source is set to SUPPORTDIR and the Target is setup.exe.

Is this the correct approach?

When i run my installer i get error 1722, i believe this means there is a error with a custom error, which makes sence.

How should i go about getting this to work?

P.S. i should mention my installer is a basic msi project

Thanks very much for any help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
packagechief
Level 5

IncontrolTech wrote:
Hi everyone 🙂

I've been searching for a long time now trying all sorts of things but i simply cannot find the solution to my problem.

I have a setup.exe file that i need to run before my installer starts installing. Im not sure if this is the correct approach but this is what i have done so far.

I've added the setup.exe file (and all the other files it needs to run) into the Support Files/Language Independent area. Then under custom actions i've added a launch executable action where the location is "Stored in the directory table". Source is set to SUPPORTDIR and the Target is setup.exe.

Is this the correct approach?

When i run my installer i get error 1722, i believe this means there is a error with a custom error, which makes sence.

How should i go about getting this to work?

P.S. i should mention my installer is a basic msi project

Thanks very much for any help

Well it sounds like this "first" setup.exe is a prerequisite (requirement) for the main Installation right?

If so, you can use the "Prerequisites Editor" see screenshot attached how to use the editor, this builtin Function within Installshield is very handy to check for the existants of any file and regkey on the target and if the condition met or dosen't met it will run the setup to correct this BEFORE the main setup routine

The Error 1722 is from Windows Installer generated and points to a timeout problem, which occurs if the Installer tries to start the first setup and dont' wait enough long and then starts the main setup routine which ends in another Error

you'll find the editor in the "Tools Menu" within Installshield
0 Kudos
IncontrolTech
Level 3

Thank you very much for the clear reply packagechief!

I have now managed to get the setup working as a prerequisite which is great! 🙂

There are now two remaining issues.

Firstly my installer does not wait for the prerequisite to finish before starting itself. As soon as the prerequisite has finished extracting my main installer starts extracting and running. I tried using the /w as a command line paramater for the prerequisite but this made no difference? Solved! 🙂 Because the prerequisite was created with an old version of installshield it needed the /SMS command line.

Secondly the interface for the prerequisite still pops up (it doesnt ask the user for any input as i have a responce file). But i was wondering if there is anyway to not display the interface? I have tried the /v/qn command line paramater and this makes no difference.

The prerequisite setup seems to be from an old version of installshield. Im not sure which type of project or version of installshield it was created with so im assuming this is why not all the command line paramaters are working.

Thanks very much!
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

IncontrolTech wrote:
Thank you very much for the clear reply packagechief!

I have now managed to get the setup working as a prerequisite which is great! 🙂

There are now two remaining issues.

Firstly my installer does not wait for the prerequisite to finish before starting itself. As soon as the prerequisite has finished extracting my main installer starts extracting and running. I tried using the /w as a command line paramater for the prerequisite but this made no difference? Solved! 🙂 Because the prerequisite was created with an old version of installshield it needed the /SMS command line.

Secondly the interface for the prerequisite still pops up (it doesnt ask the user for any input as i have a responce file). But i was wondering if there is anyway to not display the interface? I have tried the /v/qn command line paramater and this makes no difference.

The prerequisite setup seems to be from an old version of installshield. Im not sure which type of project or version of installshield it was created with so im assuming this is why not all the command line paramaters are working.

Thanks very much!

Well normally if you open the Project File (in Installshield --> File --> Open ..) for the prerequisite IS2008 shoud recognize the old version and shoud give you the porpouse to convert it to IS2008 Format (which is higly recommended) and then all command line switches shoud then work fine

this works also if you have repackaged the original setup routine with an old version of Installshield
0 Kudos
IncontrolTech
Level 3

Thanks again packagechief,

Unforuneitly the setup i need the command line switches to work for is a third party one that i dont have any project file for.

Its all working fine apart from the UI popping up, this while not nice is acceptable and my setup is actually useable now.

Thank you very much! 🙂
0 Kudos