cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KathyMorey
Level 10

Retain Service Configuration on Upgrade

Our application suite installs a number of services, which our user configures to run under an account set up with specific rights for our application.

When I upgrade, how to I retain the logon user credentials so that our users don't have to manually reconfigure every service? We upgrade through an application that runs the MSIs silently and unattended, so we can't ask the users for input at that time.

For each service, I have set up Control NT Services to Stop on Install, and to Stop and Delete on Uninstalls.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ManfredM
Level 2

Hey Kathy,

I am encountering the same problem and was wondering if you ever found a resolution?

We install a couple of services with our application, and I cannot figure out how to retain the login information for the services on an upgrade. I can find the specific user in the registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, but I don't know of any way to retain the password...

Thanks!
~Manfred
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do that yet. I've been thinking of getting rid of my entries in the MSI tables and trying to handle things through a custom action, by checking to see if the uninstall is from a major upgrade and not uninstalling the service if true. Haven't had a chance to see if this would work though.

I'd be interested in hearing if you come up with any solutions!
0 Kudos
basher590
Level 3

Hey,

I know this is an old thread but did this ever get resolved?

I have been trawling these forums for days now trying to find a solution to this exact problem.

Basic MSi project. Installs 2 services properly and uses account information specified during install.

During upgrade I specify REINSTALLMODE=vomus and REINSTALL=ALL and the services are upgraded correctly but the password entered into the service account is encrypted and therefore incorrect.

If I print it to a txt file during upgrade it comes out as encrypted, whereas during first install i can read it correctly.

There must be a way to retrieve this information during upgrade and use it. Or, stop the service,m but not re-configure it.
I only want to stop the service,m replace the files and then start it again.

Chris
0 Kudos