cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SomaDas
Level 3

Restrict application launch as a standard user.

Hi,

I want to restrict the launch of an application as standard user with UAC on. I want it to behave the same way as standard user with UAC off? How can i do that? do i have to make any changes in the installshield?? if then where??
kindly help??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I am not sure if I fully understand your question.

You want a standard user to be able to install your application without the UAC prompting for Administrative credentials, OR you want the setup to install without a UAC prompt at all.

As far as I know there isn't any supported method to disable the UAC, so that the prompt does not show at all. I am not sure that I would even want to do this as you are attempting to bypass system security that may have been established by a system administrator.

As far as the requiring the Administrative Credentials make sure you that you set your setup properties to require invoker.

Also, you need to make sure that you do not write to any directories (e.g., Program Files) that would require administrative rights. Your setup must target a user's profile directories only. The package must support per-user installations.

There are probably other things that I am missing as well, I know I have not had a situation where I have been asked to eliminate the UAC prompts. Developers, project managers, and marketing have pretty much accepted that the UAC is here to stay.
0 Kudos
SomaDas
Level 3

Hi DLee65,

Thanks a lot for your reply but my issue is something different. I understand that you did not get it right.

We know that with UAC off, we cannot do any installation as standard user. It just throws up a message for instance " you do not have admin priviledges and hence cannot install" .But with UAC on we can do installation as standard user provided we give the Admin credentials.
My Issue is, i want to restrict the installation as standard user with UAC on. i mean it should not even prompt for Admin credentials. It should just throw the message for instance " you do not have admin priviledges and hence cannot install". I want it to behave the same as standard user with UAC off.

can you help!

thankx
Soma
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, as users who have administrative privileges available after accepting a UAC consent prompt will expect to be able to install software. But if you're sure, perhaps use the AdminUser property in a launch condition after setting MSIUSEREALADMINDETECTION?
0 Kudos
SomaDas
Level 3

Hi MichaelU ,
Thank you so much for the help.

I have tried it. i tried setting the MSIUSEREALADMINDETECTION property, but it so happened that after i set this property, the installation becomes restricted even as admin user.
I think probably i am setting it in a wrong way.
What i did is i enabled MSIUSEREALADMINDETECTION = 1 in the property manager. With this enabled, i am not able to install the application even as an admin.
please let me know where i have gone wrong.

Regards
Soma
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

MSIUSEREALADMINDETECTION doesn't restrict the setup, and you haven't told me what you're doing to actually restrict it, so I can't tell you to fix it. 😉

It sounds possible that your launch condition (if that's what you used) is reversed; try adding (or removing) a NOT from the beginning of it.
0 Kudos