cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sameerbh
Level 2

Replacing new JVM in installed application as a part of update

Hi All,

Is it possible to update the JVM of of an application installed through Installshield? We use IS11.5 MP for creating the installer of our java based application. Currently the clients who have installed our application have JRE-1.4.2_11 in their '_jvm' folder. As a part of our next release we would want our client to receive an automatic update with JRE 1.5 in it.

Does anybody know if such an automatic update is possible or supported by Installshield?

Thanks,
-Sam
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Aleksey
Level 2

sameerbh wrote:
Hi All,

Is it possible to update the JVM of of an application installed through Installshield? We use IS11.5 MP for creating the installer of our java based application. Currently the clients who have installed our application have JRE-1.4.2_11 in their '_jvm' folder. As a part of our next release we would want our client to receive an automatic update with JRE 1.5 in it.

Does anybody know if such an automatic update is possible or supported by Installshield?

Thanks,
-Sam

In the nutshell - you need to bundle new java with your installer, change uninstallerJVMResolution.resolveOnReinstalls to True, delete _jvm folder prior install (installer will re-create new _jvm folder with newer java) and create a new uninstall launcher
0 Kudos
sameerbh
Level 2

Aleksey,

My question was regarding automatic updates which are sent from the Macrovison update site (http://services.installshield.com). These patches/updates do not carry any bundled JVM inside them. I don't have any idea as to how I can bundle the new JVM1.5 in them. So far we've been only putting patched jars in these updates and not an enitire JVM.

Your reply is about installing a new JVM1.5 bundled application over an existing JVM1.4 bundled application i.e. in the same folder. It's still helpful to me as I didn't think about it earlier. I assume you're asking me to add a "Remove Directory Action" in Pre-Install Sequence group to remove _jvm folder. Am I correct?

-Sam
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

I'm confused as to why you would want to update the jvm in the _jvm directory! This jvm is only used for the uninstaller! Now - if you need to update it because you are using a newer JVM for an updated install I guess you could do it - and I'm not at my work computer where my ismp sw is installed so I'm going by memory - you can go into the advanced section of the uninstall jvm resolution somewhere in the Launchers section and set the option where it says something about using installed jvm to false! Now I have not tried it and do not know if it would put like a _jvm2 directory or just overwrite the _jvm dir that is there!

Another thing you may need to be concerned with is if you can uninstall the products separately! Unless you have a search routine for the uninstall jvm resolution for the updated JVM that you want to put out there now - you may get a JVM not found error trying to uninstall the previous installed product!

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
Aleksey
Level 2

sameerbh wrote:
Aleksey,

My question was regarding automatic updates which are sent from the Macrovison update site (http://services.installshield.com). These patches/updates do not carry any bundled JVM inside them. I don't have any idea as to how I can bundle the new JVM1.5 in them. So far we've been only putting patched jars in these updates and not an enitire JVM.

Your reply is about installing a new JVM1.5 bundled application over an existing JVM1.4 bundled application i.e. in the same folder. It's still helpful to me as I didn't think about it earlier. I assume you're asking me to add a "Remove Directory Action" in Pre-Install Sequence group to remove _jvm folder. Am I correct?

-Sam

Yes you are correct assuming that you need to replace the _jvm with newer version. As for creating a bunddled jvm: you can pick up java 1.5 fro win, linux and solaris from macrovision update site or make one your self (I had to make one my self for HP): http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=installshieldmp11-5helplib-creatingbundledjvmhtm&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_MACROVISIONHELPNET_1_1&dialogID=4344695&stateId=0%200%204342730
0 Kudos