cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isherman
Level 4

Rename Setup.exe

Jump to solution

Is there a way to rename Setup.exe other than manually?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Thank you for your reply.

I tested and confirmed that you can set the setup.exe file name by specifying the Setup File Name at the Product Configuration level, see the two attached screenshots.

Please give this a try. Does it work for you?

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(12) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @isherman,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please provide a screenshot of your Help > About InstallShield screen from your copy of InstallShield that you are using to configure the affected project? This allows me to match the InstallShield service pack level and edition.

Which project type are you using? Basic MSI? InstallScript? Or InstallScript MSI? The project type should be indicated in square brackets on the InstallShield title bar when your affected project is open: [<Project Type>]

By manually, do you mean right-clicking the already built setup.exe and manually renaming the file itself that way with the Rename option? Or does manually include specifying a project setting that causes the built setup.exe to have the specified name automatically? Or both?

Are you looking for a way to programmatically set the setup.exe file name in the project settings by programmatically updating the project file then building the project via an automation script?

0 Kudos
isherman
Level 4

I'm using a basic MSI, set to a single executable.  Manually means renaming setup.exe every time I do a new build.  I'm looking for a setting I can change so that the program outputs the desired file name every time I build. 

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

I tested and confirmed that you can set the setup.exe file name by specifying the Setup File Name at the Product Configuration level, see the two attached screenshots.

Please give this a try. Does it work for you?

0 Kudos

Hi Revenera_Ian,

How would you insert the ProductVersion in the name of the single file generated when building a InstallScript project.

I found this descript for InstallScript MSI Projects:
https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/How-to-rename-msi-file-during-build-time/m-p/38039 

But I have still not found anything where you would be able to achieve the same for a InstallScript project.

0 Kudos

Hi @JVellabas,

Thank you for your post.

Open your InstallScript project in the InstallShield IDE.

In your InstallScript project, under Installation Information > General Information > General, for Product Version, specify the following:

<MyProductVersion>

<MyProductVersion> is a Path Variable.

Save the project in the InstallShield IDE.

Close the InstallShield IDE.

Then pass the path variable's value on the command line as a parameter for the InstallShield command-line builder, ISCmdBld.exe, with the following command syntax:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2022\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p "C:\InstallShield 2022 Projects\InstallScriptProductVersionTest\InstallScriptProductVersionTest.ism" -l MyProductVersion="1.2.3.4"

where "C:\InstallShield 2022 Projects\InstallScriptProductVersionTest\InstallScriptProductVersionTest.ism" is the full path to your InstallShield project .ism file and the -l parameter passes a value for a Path Variable.

I tested and confirmed that this works for me.

Please give these steps a try. Do they work for you?

0 Kudos

Hi @Revenera_Ian ,

I followed your description. It did change the ProductVersion of the Setup file.

However what I was seaching how to include the product version in the build setup filename, see the "ReleaseWithProductVersion.png". 

I know this is simple to do in a MSI project See link:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/How-to-rename-msi-file-during-build-time/m-p/38039 

post from Dan_Galender at â€ŽFeb 08, 2018 01:53 PM

However, I do not know how to achieve this when the project type is InstallScript.

0 Kudos

Hi @JVellabas,

Thank you for your post.

You could try using our automation interface, which is a COM based interface that allows you to programmatically (with an automation script) create, modify, and build InstallShield projects, including InstallScript projects.

Here is a link to documentation about the InstallShield Automation Interface:

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield28helplib/helplibrary/IHelpAutomation.htm

Here is a link to documentation about using the Automation Interface on a 64-bit machine:

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield28helplib/helplibrary/AutomationInterface64Bit.htm

You could try getting an object reference for an ISWiProject object to retrieve the value for its ProductVersion member property.

Here is a link to the documentation about the ISWiProject object:

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield28helplib/helplibrary/IHelpAutoISWiProject.htm#ref-automationinterface_2857854175_1161875

From that point, you could try getting an object reference for an ISWiRelease object to set the value for its SingleEXEFileName member property to a concatenated string value containing the retrieved value of the ISWiProject object's ProductVersion member property, from the previous step.

Here is a link to documentation about the ISWiRelease object:

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield28helplib/helplibrary/IHelpAutoISWiRelease.htm

If you have an active support contract, could you please open a new support ticket (case), for further assistance, by emailing our Support Team at support@revenera.com or calling our Support Team at (877) 279-2853?

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Thank you @Revenera_Ian,

I will attempt to follow you instructions in order to change the filename of the single exe file in my InstallScript Project.

If I need further assistance, I will create a new support case.

0 Kudos

You are welcome @JVellabas,

Thank you for your update.

0 Kudos
isherman
Level 4

That worked, thank you very much!  

0 Kudos

Perfect, you are very welcome!

0 Kudos

Renaming the setup.exe this way does work, but it appears to opens up InstallShield to hackers.  We have put a hacked version of mpr.dll in the same folder as the newly named setup.ext, let's call it MySetup.exe.  When I run MySetup.exe, the mpr.dll in the setup folder is executed and it shouldn't be.  It's only if the name of the setup file is setup.exe does InstallShield locate the correct version of mpr.dll in the Window\System32 folder.  

The description of the fix made in InstallShield is here: (UseDLL (revenera.com)), but it doesn't address the problem if the setup.exe has been renamed. We are running IS 2021.

This may not seem like an common issue, but if MySetup.exe is downloaded to the DOWNLOADS folder, it's much more possible.

Is there something we can do to address the preloaded DLL attacks and still be able to rename to something other than setup.exe?

0 Kudos