cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spdracer
Level 5

Remove file table

I have an installer that is 99% mergemodules.
I need to delete some user files and files that were installed with the mergemodules during a major upgrade. The major upgrade does not remove these files because they are changed and written to by the user.

Problem is, since I use merge modules there are no directories or components to reference in the RemoveFile table

I.E. The application ends up with the following structure

Bin
| user file created when application run
| file installed by msm but changed by user
|
--- Subfolder
user file created when application run
file installed by msm but changed by user

I need to delete both "user file created when application run" files and both
"file installed by msm but changed by user" files.

Any ideas how to do this??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
LanceSc
Level 3

Author the necessary entries in the RemoveFile table of the merge module to delete the files. It has all the necessary components and directory entries. This way all the logic of the merge module is encapsulated in it.
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

I am not the author of the mergemodules. Also, the merge modules are created in Visual Studio and I am told they do not have the capability to add to the Remove File table.
0 Kudos
LanceSc
Level 3

It looks like you will need to use the direct editor then. Open the merge modules in one instance of InstallShield, and then manually add the necessary entries to the RemoveFile table in a second instance. You will be able to lookup the component names and directory information. Make sure to use qualified names of the following form ..
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

Thanks,

I ultimately openend up the msi for the installer and pulled the information from that. I come up with something like this: _590BF1C765FE4BE99BF0861D3670C1C1.6E7F533199C84EA586971915C0968E72 for the directory and C__18F64ABE7BBD4316A996AB9703D4A5BD.6E7F533199C84EA586971915C0968E72 for the directory component.

I put the first as the dir property and the second as the component. Correct?

However, it seems to want to do a repair once the major upgrade completes. Haven't figured out why. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
LanceSc
Level 3

That looks correct, but make sure you are using the correct value for InstallMode. At this point you probably need to do some logged installs and uninstalls to determine why things are happening.
0 Kudos
Spdracer
Level 5

I am using InstallMode 2 for on remove. I will do some logging to see what is happening.

Thanks for the help on this
0 Kudos