cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TMMichP
Level 3

Desktop-to-Device Upgrade Missing Device Packages

I have an IS12 Basic MSI project that installs desktop files as well as files for two different kinds of devices. Each device type is its own feature so users don't need to install files for hardware they don't have. The files for each device are named identically, but compiled for different mobile operating system versions. IS12 creates the CAB files when the project is built.

I also added conditions to the InstallExecuteSequence table in IS12 so ActiveSync wouldn't pop up when neither device feature was being installed. For InstallCEApps this looked like
&Device1=3 Or &Device2=3
and for RemoveCEApps it was
!Device1=3 Or !Device2=3

I let IS2010 convert the project. Now I can't get the device files to install at all; not direct to a connected device and not on the desktop (not available in ActiveSync). The log file (attached) contains lines like--
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: LoadCeAppMgrCmdLine 
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: GetValueFromIniFile with section 'GlobalOptions', keyword 'CeAppMgrCmdLine', and default value ''.
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: No information found with section 'GlobalOptions' and keyword 'CeAppMgrCmdLine' in ini file 'C:\DOCUME~1\MICHEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ini127.tmp'
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: Entering InstallCEApps
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: CTouchPoint::Initialize
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: CIniLoader::FillPropertyBag
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: LoadCeAppMgrPath
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: GetValueFromIniFile with section 'GlobalOptions', keyword 'CeAppMgrPath', and default value ''.
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: LoadCeAppMgrCmdLine
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: GetValueFromIniFile with section 'GlobalOptions', keyword 'CeAppMgrCmdLine', and default value ''.
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: No information found with section 'GlobalOptions' and keyword 'CeAppMgrCmdLine' in ini file 'C:\DOCUME~1\MICHEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ini127.tmp'
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: CTouchPoint::DoInstall
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: Initialize
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: Launch CEAppMgr.exe to allow user to intall apps to mobile device.
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: RunCabWiz
1: InstallShield Windows Mobile Runtime Info: No command line, nothing to install, so skip CEAppMgr launch.

My custom InstallExecuteSequence conditions are also missing and replaced with
Privileged=1 And REMOVE<>"ALL"
and
Privileged=1 And Installed
respectively. Trying to put mine back in so far has only made things worse.

I noticed IS12 created a project folder called CEApps that has two folders with CAB files in them. 2010 seems to be doing it all in a tmp file that I can't check afterwards?

Any suggestions on what's causing this problem?

Thanks.
Michelle
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
TMMichP
Level 3

I started a new project in IS2010 that just had my two device features plus one desktop file. I did not try to add my custom CE install conditions. I compared the Build logs, and the project that was upgraded is missing the following steps after "Embedding manifest SetupExe.Admin.manifest into setup.exe":
Building Windows Mobile Application(s)...
Analyzing data in Application "App for CE 5"...
Creating INF file for Application "App for CE 5"...
Building CAB files for Application "App for CE 5"...
Adding CAB files for Application "App for CE 5" to Binary table...
Analyzing data in Application "App for Windows Mobile 6"...
Creating INF file for Application "App for Windows Mobile 6"...
Building CAB files for Application "App for Windows Mobile 6"...
Adding CAB files for Application "App for Windows Mobile 6" to Binary table...

And I see my new project does create the CEApps folder that I would also get from IS12.

So whatever is needed to get "Building Windows Mobile Application(s)..." started seems to have been broken during the upgrade.

The new test install worked great, correctly identifying which kind of device was installed (the reason for my upgrade). If I did not install either device feature, it didn't bug me with ActiveSync, so I'm hoping I won't need those custom conditions anymore.

--Michelle
0 Kudos
TMMichP
Level 3

Taking a cue from another post, I checked the execute sequence order of the CE custom actions. The upgrade had things moved around. Instead of RemoveCEApps (3502), RemoveCEAppsDesktop (3503), ..., InstallCEAppsDesktop (4001), InstallCEApps (4002), the upgraded project had them as InstallCEAppsDesktop (4001), RemoveCEApps (4002), InstallCEApps (4003), RemoveCEAppsDesktop (4004).

But changing the sequence number in the upgraded project still didn't get my CABs built. I'm not sure which did the trick (or if both did), but I also changed Locked-Down Permissions (General Information) to Custom InstallShield handling (the new project's default) and got rid of a Release flag I had on one of the device features (and in the Release Build tab).

With all that, my full upgraded project now works. No custom conditions in the Direct Editor needed.
0 Kudos
TMMichP
Level 3

Tried adding a new release to my project configuration. I want a CD build that would include the full .NET prerequisite. I already had a single Setup.exe release that goes out to the Internet to install .NET. The former is for the occasional customer that doesn't have Internet access. The latter I want smaller so it can be easily downloaded from our web site.

I tried to use release flags to select the right .NET installer for each release. That broke the setup build again. My Mobile Device CABs are not being built at all, even though the CAB files for my desktop files are.

Is there some other way I can do this without Release Flags? Or am I going to have to have two copies of my project for the two releases with the two .NET installers?
0 Kudos
TMMichP
Level 3

I created a separate Product Configuration for the standalone CD build. Then I set different release flags in the two Product Configurations. That worked; my mobile device CAB's were built and the right .NET installer was included for each setup.

So,...
I cannot use release flags at the Release level (below Product Configuration) with mobile device projects. But I can use release flags at the Product Configuration level.
0 Kudos