cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwlundk
Level 3

Remove existing product

Hello,

I have a problem removing older installations. We build new setups every night using TFS build. When our testers click on the new setups the next morning, they get this error message:

"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

What we want is that the old version is uninstalled automatically before the new version is installed. In older Versions of Installshield we had a checkbox "Remove existing products", but I can't find it in ISLE 2011.

I tried playing around with the Upgrade Paths, but that didn't work for me. I used the actual Upgrade Code, Min Version and Max Version are set to the same values and are included = yes. The language Identifier 1031 is read from another setup.exe. and set to "Include Language Identifier(s) Specified".

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we don't want to change any product codes, upgrade codes, etc. because most of the time the setup isn't changed.

Thanks
jan
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Jan,

I understand that you are encountering with message “Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel", whenever you run the same Setup file again and again .

The message which you are encountering is because the Microsoft installer considers this as a minor upgrade and hence you would not be able to run the same setup without modifying Product Version and Product Code.

You could create a Major Upgrade in InstallShield Limited Edition but not Minor Upgrade.

InstallShield Limited Edition is used to create very basic installer and minimal functionalities are included whereas in other editions of InstallShield (Premier, Professional and Express) various features and functionalities are included.

The various features of InstallShield Editions are

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installshield/features.htm

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos