cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knoepdan
Level 6

Release Build on different CD's does not work

Hi

In our InstallShield 2010 Basic Msi project,we have to distribute our application on 3 CD!! In the Release configuration wizard I set the Dusj Spanning Options flag to automatic so InstallShield determines the which features belong to which disk.

This works fine at first glimpse and the msi installer is builded correctly. However, when i launch the installer, i recieve an error message that a file was not found on DISK1 that is actually on DISK2. In my opinion a pop should inform the user the next CD should be inserted or that the user has to provide the path to the next CD-Folder. Why does this not happen?? (in fact, i a get quite a lot of error messages as several files are not on DISK1 but the installer assumes they are there)

I finally ended up selecting a Network Image so we could test the installer. However, we have to ship the applicaton on CD's so i need to finod out how to get the installer working with a CD-Rom Release. I also tried to manually place the features on the different disks, with the same result.

I hope anyone can help me.

Greetings

Daniel
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Lurean
Level 8

When you use the disk spanning you MUST burn them to disk before you can run the installer, and the disk labels must match the folder names that Installshield places the files into in the release folder.

i.e.: first disk volume label = DISK1 , second disk volume label = DISK2, etc.

The error messages you get when running the installer from a single disk or from cds that are not properly labeled can be misleading.
0 Kudos