cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amit1628
Level 3

Relative paths for source files in installscript project components.

In our application, we have an installscript project where we are referencing to the source components using static file links. The source files are the compiled outputs of java and .Net and some config files etc. With every build, we copy these files to a common packaging directory from where Installshield picks up these source files and packages in the setup. For this we have used static file links with hardcoded path to this common location for the source files.

We plan on using the relative file paths for the source files so and for this tried using Dynamic file linking which supports relative paths using path variables. But the dynamic linking links only to the source folder but it does not provide linking to each and every individual file inside that folder. I am facing following problems with this approach:

1. If I want to link a few specific files inside a linked folder, I am not able to achieve this.
2. Since there is no individual file linking, so Installshield does not give any warning or errors for a missing file in the source folder.

Please suggest any solutions for the abovesaid issues.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MGarrett
Level 6

You can link to specific files dynamically. Click the ellipsis "..." next to the "Link Type" and you get a Link Type window. Select the folder for files to include, and define wildcards to include or exclude specific files.

Of course, with Dynamic links you still won't get warnings for missing files. This is one of the tradeoffs when you choose dynamic linking.
0 Kudos
amit1628
Level 3

Hi MGarret. Thanks for the reply. I already had the information which you have provided. Just wanted to know if there is any way to point to specific files inside a source folder. e.g. I have 100 txt files in a folder and I just want to include 50 of them in my project. Is that possible with Dynamic linking. I can not use wildcards to exclude files here since all the files have same extension inside the folder.
0 Kudos
MGarrett
Level 6

Amit,

In general, if you know the names of the specific files you want to include, I recommend using static links and not dynamic. This will save you some hassle in the long run.

However, if you still decide to go with dynamic links, you can specify more than just the extension in the wildcards. You can also specify filenames and specific files to include or exclude.
You can put multiple entries on the Inclusion or Exclusion list as needed, separated by semicolons.

For example, to include all .txt files that have in the name "10" or "11", but exclude the number "1011", do this:

Inclusion:
*10*.txt;*11*.txt
Exclusion:
*1011*.txt

You can also name specific files without wildcards on the Inclusion or Exclusion list.
Inclusion:
1012.txt;1013.txt;1014.txt
0 Kudos