cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPFPlus
Level 3

Registry entries wont write to 64 bit Windows

I made a simple msi project and it has some filrs and registry entries. It installs fine in both 32 bit and 64 bit windows but the registry is not showing up in 64 bit windows..... its showing in 32 bit. Is this a known bug with Installshield???
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is a limitation of Windows Installer. To install to 64-bit registry locations, the component must be marked as 64-bit, and the install must also be marked as 64-bit. Once that's done, the package cannot be installed on a 32-bit system.

There are workarounds involving custom actions that write to the registry directly.
0 Kudos
Kelly08
Level 3

I just got done chasing this issue around with generating a 64 bit and 32 bit install from one project. After talking with support, I settled on the following approach.

1. Create a hidden feature (example: Feature64) under the feature that creates registry keys.
2. Create a new component under Feature64.
3. Mark that component as 64 bit
4. Create duplicates of the registry keys in this component.

This allows you to have two builds one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit, where ReleaseFlags are used to include the 64 bit hidden feature for the 64 bit build.

Kelly
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Ah, that's a more correct solution. So many people dislike the idea of multiple packages that I forgot to mention it. Glad you got to it anyway. 🙂
0 Kudos