cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user888
Level 3

Redistributing VS2008

Hi,

I saw this subject was discussed here before, but I couldn't find the answer to my question.
My application is using VS 2008 "redistributable files".
I want to use "InstallShield 2008" for the setup, and not "InstallShield 2009".

My Question is:
Is there a way to do it, without including the whole "vcredist_x86.exe" inside my setup ?

More details:
My application is using only "msvcr90.dll", so I want only this file, and not the whole package.
In addition, I still want it to be installed in the proper "WinSxS" folder, and not in my application folder.

Thanks for any help.
Si.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't believe Microsoft supports a manual distribution strategy, opting to only support their merge modules and their redist exe. Can you use their merge modules? You may have to copy them to your build machine from a machine with Visual Studio (if they're not already one and the same).
0 Kudos
user888
Level 3

> Can you use their merge modules?

Yes.
(For anyone who has VS installed, but can't find the (.msm files) merge modules- (like me 😉 ) - you have to re-install VS, and make sure you select the checkbox for: "Tools for redistributing applications\Redistributable Merge Modules",
and then look at the [FONT="Courier New"] )

> You may have to copy them to your build machine from a machine with Visual Studio (if they're not already one and the same).

I have VS and InstallShield on diffrent machines.
Is it enough to copy the files to the "InstallShield machine" to ,
or do I need to do some extra registration or similar ?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There shouldn't be any registration issues, but if you're building with the standalone build (as opposed to the command-line build that's installed with the IDE), you may need to specify the path in a -o parameter.
0 Kudos
user888
Level 3

I've copied all MSM files.
In InstallShield, under the "Application Data-Redistributables",
now I see 2 entries for "9.0 CRT".
One entry for "regular" and one for "policy".
Do I need to check both, or only the "regular" ?
10x alot for your help,
Si.
0 Kudos
Qingsong
Level 5

You need both.
0 Kudos