cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert_sanford
Level 3

Redistributable Already Installed Showing Failure

My group received an application with installer from a 3rd party with no documentation and I am new to InstallShield and trying to get the pieces up and running.

I have a pre-requisite installer that relies on several redistributable files including SQL Server Compact Edition (SSCE). When testing the installer on my machine the SSCE installer reports a failure that I think is appearing because I already have it installed. The installer can continue but the messaging is confusing to end users who will think something is wrong and then call into support which we want to avoid.

Is there a way that I can detect an existing version of a redist and not execute that install or can I use the parameters to the redist installer to not return an error message?

Many thanks!

rjsjr
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
robert_sanford
Level 3

Note that I created a new project that specified SSCE as a redistributable and that install failed with the same symptoms so I'm pretty sure this is stock behavior.

Is there a command-line arg I can pass to the SSCE installer to ignore that?

rjsjr

robert.sanford wrote:
My group received an application with installer from a 3rd party with no documentation and I am new to InstallShield and trying to get the pieces up and running.

I have a pre-requisite installer that relies on several redistributable files including SQL Server Compact Edition (SSCE). When testing the installer on my machine the SSCE installer reports a failure that I think is appearing because I already have it installed. The installer can continue but the messaging is confusing to end users who will think something is wrong and then call into support which we want to avoid.

Is there a way that I can detect an existing version of a redist and not execute that install or can I use the parameters to the redist installer to not return an error message?

Many thanks!

rjsjr
0 Kudos