Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BMWBear
Level 3

Redistibutales

Redistributables Download Issue

Hi All,

I’m a newbie to the forum so please bear with me. I’m using VS2010 with Install Shield 2011 Express. When I try to download software under “Redistributables” under “Step 2” I’m getting “The Download Failed, make sure you are running as Administrator”. OS is Windows 7 (also a newbie to OS 7) and I am logged in as admin. Any ideas as to how I fix this issue.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

See if the instructions at the end of this topic help:
Launching InstallShield with vs. Without Administrative Privileges
0 Kudos
BMWBear
Level 3

Per the article you pointed me to..

"Note that if you are using InstallShield from within Visual Studio, you may not have administrative privileges. By default, if you launch Visual Studio by double-clicking its shortcut on a Windows Vista or later system, you will not have administrative privileges."

I was able to go directly to the VS .exe file and do "Run As Admin" and the downloads are working now. Is there any way to set us VS2010 to run under admin regardless as to how the program is launched?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you always require admin privileges when you are using Visual Studio: You could try to right-click the Visual Studio executable file (devenv.exe), and then click Properties. On the Compatibility tab, select the Run this program as administrator check box.
0 Kudos
BMWBear
Level 3

I'll give that a try.

Thanks for your help Debbie.
0 Kudos