cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbsdis
Level 6

Reasons to migrate IS2009 InstallScript to IS2010 with MSI?

Hi,

We have an InstallScript (no MSI, with IS2009), the package supports up to Windows Vista.

Now we are going to update the installer (and applications) to support newer OSs including Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7 (with 32-bit and 64-bit). I wonder if it helps if I migrate the project to MSI (Basic MS or InstallScript MSI) with IS2010, can anybody give me some inputs?

Thanks,
PB
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
gridman
Level 8

One area that will be addressed by getting IS 2010 is 64-bit support (like you mentioned).

If you have a 32-bit app (with no 64-bit components) that needs to run on 64-bit windows, just open your IS 2009 project in IS 2010, rebuild, and you are taken care of. You don't have to do anything else.

Something else is that with IS 2010, you can include prerequisites in InstallScript projects. Couldn't do that before and it's really useful.

There is also new billboard support, the IDE is different in a lot of places. The String Table is better, with a toolbar and different capabilities. Also, new InstallScript functions.

Those are some things off the top of my head.
0 Kudos
pbsdis
Level 6

Thank you for your input!

One area that will be addressed by getting IS 2010 is 64-bit support (like you mentioned).

If you have a 32-bit app (with no 64-bit components) that needs to run on 64-bit windows, just open your IS 2009 project in IS 2010, rebuild, and you are taken care of. You don't have to do anything else.

I can do it on IS2009 also, right? So this is really NOT a reason to migrate to IS2010.

Something else is that with IS 2010, you can include prerequisites in InstallScript projects. Couldn't do that before and it's really useful.

This is a good point (reason) to migrate to IS2020.

Considering your points, it seems there is no need to update to MSI (it's currently pure InstallScript project, no MSI), either Basic or InstallScript MSI, right?

Thanks again,
PB
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

I have to admit I've only done one project for 64-bit. I did what I described to you. Rebuilt my IS 2009 project in IS 2010 (no 64-bit components in my install). I was under the impression that you could only do this with IS 2010, not with IS 2009. Other people need to verify this though, since I am not an expert on 64-bit.

As far as changing from InstallScript to an MSI-type. If you are not going for the Windows Logo on your product, you technically don't need to use the Windows Installer. If you did move it to MSI, the easiest would be to use InstallScript MSI, because it also has a script.
0 Kudos