cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vs20082010
Level 4

Quite irritating : SQLLogin BUG : can click NEXT even without the database?

How come I am able to click on the NEXT buttong even though the 'Name of the database catalog' text box is empty or it contains an invalid database name?

isn't there any available function present here like the IS_SQLSERVER_STATUS=0 (checks only the server, username and password) but without validating the database???

Obviously the DATABASE needs validation together with the USERNAME and PASSWORD.. how come installshield does not have this capability and only the server name, username and password gets validated??? how come this was not present here?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

The database might not exist yet and you might not want it to exist yet. But if you are deploying to a database that should already exist you could write a sql script that is scheduled to run on logon and do some queries to check the state. You can use text replacements also to the query to the name of the catalog provided by the user.

The real anoyance to me ( maybe this is fixed in IS2010.. I haven't really used it much. ) is that you can't bind query results back to MSI properities. Not even a simple ExecuteScalar pattern. I've had to write C#/DTF custom actions using ADO.NET to get around this.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please check out this community thread for workaround.
0 Kudos
vs20082010
Level 4

hidenori and Christopher Painter: thank you for your suggestions. 🙂

What I have done is that I have created an installscript code , get the information from the ADO connection. Then I connect it with the NEXT button via the variable from the property manager.

my NEXT problem is associated with SQLBrowser, if I would select a database from this window, the textbox wherein the 'Name of the database catalog' resides does not get refreshed in accordance with what i have selected from the SQLBrowser dialog?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you are using a Basic MSI project, it may be the issue discussed in this community thread.
0 Kudos