cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

Quick Launch for all users

Is there a way to install Quick Launch shortcuts for all users? Unlike shortcuts in Start Menu, Quick Launch shortcuts are not merged with all users profile. It only points to the current users profile. So if someone proceeds an installation when the user is not logged on, the user(s) will not get the shortcut.

I think it is propably possible to find a solution for this via a Custom Action by finding all users on the machine and placing the shortcut on the each profile. But this is non-trivial task, also a new user created after installation wont get the shortcut.

Does anyone have has a solution or idea on this?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
heathlmorris
Level 4

Do some research on Active Setup. It is what windows uses at startup to configure the desktop for new users. It invilves setting a couple registry keys one to mark the path of your executable to run and the other is for the count inside the registry of when to run the executable.
if count is 1 and the users count either does not exist or is lower then the active setup will launch your executable. This is also true for new users that are created.

I have used this in the past for some install magic, but realize that you also have to create some uninstall magic as well if you want to have a clean process. It's not as easy as you may think.

http://www.etlengineering.com/installer/activesetup.txt
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

Thanks for the reply!

Active setup, which is self-repair I believe, sound like too heavy operation for just creating the shortcuts. I know it would happen just once but corps wouldnt like it.. Maybe we can do this via a script or such system wide.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

You should note that the Quick Launch Bar is gone as of Windows 7 (it’s deprecated and hidden by default). So you may have to adjust your setup if it targets Windows 7 as well.
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

Ok thanks!
0 Kudos