cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmesamesa
Level 2

Progress Bar in Windows Vista or 2000 Prerequisites dialog not moving like XP ?

This is is about an MSI Project FEATURE PREREQUISITE.
Windows XP animates the progress bar indefinetely with small green squares that loop constantly, until the PREREQUISITES are installed, then it starts the actual installation an keeps track of and updates the progress of the installation. But for some reason Windows 2000 and Vista do not show any animation during the PREREQUISITES dialog, it stays empty. It is misleading and frustrating for the person performing the installation.
Accidentally i found out that at least Windows Vista 64 bit using a classic look THEME behaved like XP but not when it uses it's fancy skins themes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This behavior is being tracked as WO# IOC-000072272, but in that report this is only a problem on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 (not 2000). Do we need to add Windows Server 2000 to the list?
0 Kudos
mmesamesa
Level 2

Report: WO# IOC-000072272

What does it mean ? Is it a bug of Installshield that could be fixed with some patch or service pack ? When ? Had this happen with previous versions of Installshield ? Any clue why does it happen ?

Or is it outside the boundaries of installshield.

I tried in Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 4 ( not Server ) and isn't displaying properly. So i think it should be included in the report.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:
This behavior is being tracked as WO# IOC-000072272, but in that report this is only a problem on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 (not 2000). Do we need to add Windows Server 2000 to the list?

Michael, will this item be possibly fixed for IS2009?
0 Kudos
carsten711
Level 5

i have the same Problems in Windows Vista and Windows 2000 Professional with Sp4. Is there a BugFix from Installshield available? We need it urgent!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I suspect we may be seeing two different causes, although probably with the same fix. The behavior for feature prerequisites is new, as feature prerequisites themselves are new. When I'd only seen the problem on Vista and later, I assumed it had to do with it blocking a trick we use. After doing some initial research, it looks like the trick was never available on Windows 2000, so that's consistent. Thus the latter is clearly classifiable as a bug; the former is a little more murky. But no matter how classified, it's not your fault, and InstallShield will have to made a code adjustment to provide the desired behavior.

At this point I can't say for certain, but as the code to implement a workaround will not be trivial, I wouldn't personally expect it in IS2009. The indeterminate progress should remain available in setup prerequisites, and it's an unfortunate gap in the feature prerequisite story for now.
0 Kudos
AaronM
Level 6

Michael,

Thank you for the explanation. As with most Vista-related development, I am sure it is not a trivial task.

We are very much looking forward to the eventual fix as we find the feature prerequisites to be much more valuable than the setup prerequisites. It offers a more streamlined installation experience for the user and most importantly gives the release engineer flexibility to not have the particular prerequisite install when the associated feature is not installed. In addition, it is desirable to have nothing install until after the user accepts the license agreement.

Is there any way for InstallShield customers to track status or be notified when a particular work order is completed and available in a service pack or new version?
0 Kudos