cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmackay
Level 7

Product Reinstalls - no feedback to user?

Hello,

I have created a new product install and when I run the installer a second time, I would have expected to see some sort of message telling me that I already have this version installed on the system. Instead, the installer simply proceeds as if it has absolutely no knowledge of the previous installation.

Is there a way to implement this simple check and then prompt the end-user if they want to reinstall or exit?

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
gamlidek
Level 4

Yep. 😄

What I do in my project is I have two Wizard Sequences:

Install sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must not already be installed.

ReInstall sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must already be installed.

Welcome to the world of missing features known as... InstallShield.

cheers,

/gam/
0 Kudos
rmackay
Level 7

What would you do in the case of having the product installed on its own the first time, and then installed as an assembly from a suite the next time? This is something that will also need to be addressed.
0 Kudos
rmackay
Level 7

gamlidek wrote:
Yep. 😄

What I do in my project is I have two Wizard Sequences:

Install sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must not already be installed.

ReInstall sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must already be installed.

Welcome to the world of missing features known as... InstallShield.

cheers,

/gam/

Can you describe the condition that you are using? I assume the InstallCheckWizardBeanCondition but what are the "check names", etc? Also, are you including that wizard sequence in each part of the main installation sequence? (preinstall/install/postinstall)

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You can search these forums (or the online extra beans page) for "AlreadyInstalledCondition"...
0 Kudos
rmackay
Level 7

Hi,

Thanks. Trial and Error seems to be the preferred solution here.
0 Kudos
rmackay
Level 7

RobertDickau wrote:
You can search these forums (or the online extra beans page) for "AlreadyInstalledCondition"...

Where is this online extra beans page?

The AlreadyInstalledCondition does not seem to work properly.
0 Kudos
davbrown2
Level 4

Any solution to the problem of AlreadyInstalledCondition not working? I just hit this problem too

(also was unable to rebuild the condition since wizard.jar is missing from the lib directory)
0 Kudos
davbrown2
Level 4

BTW, the online extra beans page is at:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/beans.asp?prod=mpf

Other sources I have located for beans - the first 2 are pretty old:

http://community.installshield.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97
InstallShield MultiPlatform 5.x Bean Gallery sub-forum

http://community.installshield.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56
InstallShield MultiPlatform 4.x Bean Gallery sub-forum

http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/mp/isuniv.htm
InstallShield Universal Samples
(only one here - checking sudo authentication for Mac OS X)

I have written a similar condition for OS/400 (to check that the installing user has *SECOFR class, and to display the class if not) and am trying to figure out the best place to post it. Guess these (my OS/400 condition and the one for MacOS X) complement the Admin Condition supplied on the InstallShield page (which does the same function for UNIX or Windows).
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

(As for the case of the vanishing wizard.jar, please see [thread=157679]this thread[/thread].)
0 Kudos
rmackay
Level 7

I ended up writing a custom bean for this, based on a custom bean in the gallery here somewhere.

The current condition that is built in which I was having problems with appears to have no purpose at all as it doesn't seem to do anything.
0 Kudos
drostowsky
Level 5

Is this bean something you could post, or at least the relevant snippets that use the ISMP APIs? This is something that has vexed me as well, but has been buried under all the other issues I have with ISMP for me to spend time creating. 🙂
0 Kudos