cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sgailey
Level 2

Problems with minor upgrade in InstallScript project with merge modules - Error 1706.

As stated I have an InstallScript project and have released a beta of our product version 0.6 to the world. I then updated the product version to 0.7 and have problems running the install on existing installations. I keep getting error 1706 at the end of the install process. I understand that it’s trying to find the old Merge Module MSI and can’t. I read that InstallShield changes the product code for the MSI each time I build an install.

My question is, is it possible to perform an minor upgrade in a InstallScript project that uses Merge modules?

I’ve tried caching the MSI files with no luck, they get overwritten by the newer versions.
I’ve tried calling or not calling FeatureRemoveAllInLogOnly in the script OnUpdateUIBefore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sgailey
Level 2

Short term solution, I removed the Microsoft .NET Framework object that I was using to install .net framework 3.5 from my install and the 1706 error message on minor upgrade went away.

I'd still like to know why the object was causing my problems but for now everything works. I'll just have to check for the existance of .net 3.5 when our install runs, and prompt the operator to manually install it if it is not there. Not a great solution but it will work for the beta.

Stuart
0 Kudos