cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnDoe
Level 3

Problems installing patch on Vista

I am having problems applying a patches to my installation on Windows Vista. The installation runs through successfully, but does not copy any files onto the system. It corrupts the MSI database, and when I try to uninstall the application it gives an error message: “This Action Is Only Valid for Products That Are Currently Installed”. The patch runs through correctly if I right click on the update.exe and choose “run as administrator”. This happens even tho the user is an administrator.

Once an update has failed like this we have to clean up the installation using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, and then reinstall the application and the patch by right clicking and choosing “run as administrator”.

I would really appreciate alle the help I can get in this matter.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This sounds like the Windows Installer configuration data is being corrupted during the patch install. Have you tried creating a verbose log of the patch to see what MSI is doing during application of the patch? Does this happen with the full upgrade version of your project (i.e., install the base MSI then the upgraded MSI which was used to build the patch)?
0 Kudos
JohnDoe
Level 3

I've resolved the issue. The problem was that the features in the project had advertised set to Disallow advertise. Changing to Allow Advertise did the trick..
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I am having the same problem, however, I do not see why changing the features to allow advertised would fix this problem. I am testing the solution now, but it seems like a weak solution as we may not want to allow advertised for each feature.

My guess is that the update.exe does not include credentials for digital signing and elevates the patch. That is why right clicking and running as administrator works.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Well, switching features from "dsiallow advertised" to "allow advertised" did not correct the issue. Right clicking and running as administrator does fix the issue. So something about the credentials is faulty. It should inherit credentials from the signed cached MSI on the user's machine but does not.

I suspect this might be related to: Q113652: HOTFIX: InstallScript Initialization Code Modifying ALLUSERS Property
0 Kudos
JohnDoe
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
Well, switching features from "dsiallow advertised" to "allow advertised" did not correct the issue. Right clicking and running as administrator does fix the issue. So something about the credentials is faulty. It should inherit credentials from the signed cached MSI on the user's machine but does not.

I suspect this might be related to: Q113652: HOTFIX: InstallScript Initialization Code Modifying ALLUSERS Property

I ran across a simular problem on a major upgrade that was caused by this bug. Take a look at this thread:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=183871
0 Kudos