cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skr
Level 6

Problems installing new component during uopgrade

Hi

I am trying to add a new component to an existing feature during upgrade.
The upgrade seems to complete without errors, but no files are installed.
According to the documentation it should be possible both for minor upgrade and small updates if the version of windows installer is greater that 2.0. I am using version 3.

The installation performs OK on a major upgrade.

My project is MSI :confused: Installscript

I also tried installing a new component in a new feature with same negative result!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As a sanity check, assuming you've defined a minor upgrade item in the Upgrades view, does InstallShield's upgrade validation flag anything about the new component?
0 Kudos
skr
Level 6

I am not sure that I do understand the messages below. Does it say that my component will not be installed??? If this is the case, I can't see how it should be possible to install a new component in an upgrade as described in the documentation.

Val0003: This setup will perform a SMALL upgrade of the referenced previous setup c:\docume~1\packman\locals~1\temp\2\8fbc\- the marketing toolbox.msi
Val0010: The data in component '_85DCE2EA6D620434E61439F072E48968' differs from the previous setup. However, this component will not reinstall in an upgrade scenario. Therefore, the changes will not be applied to the target system during the upgrade. Table: 'CreateFolder' Record: '_A282D006F369400194792FE3B3366443;_85DCE2EA6D620434E61439F072E48968' c:\docume~1\packman\locals~1\temp\2\8fbc\- the marketing toolbox.msi
ISDEV : warning Val0015: The CreateFolder table contains new content. Therefore, if you are packaging this upgrade as a patch, you will not be able to make it an uninstallable patch. c:\docume~1\packman\locals~1\temp\2\8fbc\- the marketing toolbox.msi
Setup.exe created
0 Kudos
skr
Level 6

By the way

I would like to be able to add files and folders from one upgrade to another. That the reason for using dynamic linking.

If it is not possible to use dynamic linking, I would like to zip the files into one zipfile, and the doing a unzip during the installation.

Do you know if this is possible using installshield. I am running MSI installscript.

Order is there another solution I am not aware of?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the help topic "Val0010" for background and remedial information about that warning. (And a double-check: presumably you're using the Patch Optimization setting near the end of the Release Wizard, since you're using dynamic file linking?)

(Regarding the Val0003 message, you might consider changing the project's Product Version property.)
0 Kudos
skr
Level 6

I found that VAL0010 occurs due to the dynamically linking.

Thats the reason why I ask for a way to unzip files during installation. In this way I might be able to avoid changing the installation eanch time a new folder occurs in the program.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Minor upgrades do support adding components, but removing components is another story. Are you using the Patch Optimization setting near the end of the Release Wizard, since you're using dynamic file linking? Does creating an MSI log file at run time give any more information?
0 Kudos
skr
Level 6

I am not using any patch design. See attached bitmap.

Regarding the logfile, it is rather huge. What am I going to look for?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Despite the name, the Patch Optimization setting is useful for minor upgrades in general, and not just patches; it ensures keys in the File, Component, and Media tables match up between builds, especially for dynamic file links.

Under InstallShield's Tools menu is a log-file analyzer, which can highlight feature states, component states, and file-action details from a log file generated during an upgrade...
0 Kudos
skr
Level 6

I generated a logfile:
setup.exe /v"/l*v c:\Mylogfile.wil"

Analyzing gave the following exception

In a previous post I asked if it is possible to unzip files during installation (to avoid using dynamically linking) do you know that?
0 Kudos
skr
Level 6

Regarding the Patch optimization, which packages should I use as previous package??

I am not running patch installaition as I would be able to upgrade from all versions of eg. 1.1, 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.t to e.g 1.7 without doing all the installations!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Assuming you've used the Patch Optimization setting for each new release, and that each intermediate release has added but not removed components, I expect you'll want each new release to point to the most recent previous release. 1.1 would point to 1.0, 1.2 would point to 1.1, and so on.

There's no built-in functionality for working with .zip files, so you'd presumably need to create a custom action for that.
0 Kudos