cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawgzilla
Level 3

Problems installing microsoft .net framework 4.6 full package

Hello Sirs,

When I run my installation, it recognizes that microsoft .net framework 4.6 is not installed and tries to install it. When it completes I get the following message and then the installation quiets:

Microsoft .net framework 4.6 full package or greater needs to be installed for this installation to continue.

I have Microsoft .net framework 4.6 full selected as one of my redistributables.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thank you

Gary
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

After it gives you the message - if you open Control Panel Programs And Features - do you see .NET Framework 4.6 in the list of installed programs?

If not, it sounds like something is keeping it from installing successfully.

You might try installing it manually and see if any on-screen error message pops up indicating an issue.

Sometimes running it through an MSI masks the error where as running it yourself interactively will give an indication as to what is wrong.

If all else fails, and it shouldn't, but if all else fails you can do this.

1. Right click on "Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6 Full" in your list of Redistributables
2. Choose "Edit Prerequisite"
3. In the Prerequisite Editor go to the Behavior tab
4. In the drop down for "If, after installing the prerequisite, the conditions still indicate it is required" choose something other than "Abort the setup".

However, if it is indeed not installing .NET 4.6 Full then this will only allow you to continue and won't have a .NET 4.6 in the end.

Hopefully installing it manually gives you some message as to what is wrong. Otherwise it could be a bit of a pickle.

Chad
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

I just tried with InstallShield 2016 Premier and created a new project (Basic MSI) and checked just Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 Full in my Redistributables list. Did a build and install - it wanted to install the .NET 4.6 as expected so I told it to go ahead and once it was done my install did continue OK. This was on a Windows 7 OS. It was set to Abort if it didn't install.

Sometimes a .NET Framework will require another hotfix or something be installed before they can be installed with success. It often seems to depend on a particular combination of .NET version and Operating System being used.

Here's an example of an issue installing .NET 4.6 or 4.6.1 on Windows 8. Just an example of why to run the .NET framework outside of the installer or temporarily remove the /q switch from the prerequisite command line switches and see if you get a message.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40264478/installshield-net-4-6-1-framework-installation-on-windows-8

Chad

0 Kudos
Dawgzilla
Level 3

Hello Chad,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried to do what you suggested:

1. Right click on "Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6 Full" in your list of Redistributables
2. Choose "Edit Prerequisite"
3. In the Prerequisite Editor go to the Behavior tab
4. In the drop down for "If, after installing the prerequisite, the conditions still indicate it is required" choose something other than "Abort the setup".

But did not have the option to "Edit Prerequisite" nor did I see the Behavior tab.

I am testing my install under Windows 7 inside a Oracle Virtual Box.

I am going to try and install "Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6 Full" manually and see what kind if any message I get back that might prevent it from installing and keep you posted.

Thanks for your help

Gary
0 Kudos
Dawgzilla
Level 3

Hello Chad,

I forgot to mention a couple of things:

1. I am running Install Shield 2016 Express, I think!
2. I opened Control Panel, Programs And Features and saw Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 was already installed on my Virtual Machine running Windows 7

Thank you

Gary
0 Kudos
Dawgzilla
Level 3

Hello Chad,

I tried to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 manually and got the following message:

.NET Framework 4.6 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

So what can I do to make my setup continue even though .NET Framework 4.6 or a later is already installed?

Thank you

Gary
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

If I remove all traces of 4.6 and manually install 4.6.1 first and then run my installer it does not offer to install 4.6. If I remove 4.6.1 and run it then I do get prompted to install 4.6.

It sounds like to me that Express has an incorrect setting in the prerequisite.

The fact that you cannot edit that entry sort of indicates you are not on Professional or Premier.

There is a separate forum here for InstallShield 2016 Express just below this forum. They might have some ideas for you there. I've never touched Express since it is not as full-featured as Professional or Premier. My company buys the Premier for me to use. I wouldn't be able to accomplish my job using Express. I not only modify existing pre-reqs, but I also write my own.

Chad
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Gary, see if you can find the PreReqEditor.exe in your local install of InstallShield.

For me, it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2016\Support folder. If you see that file then try running it and maybe you can open the PRQ file and at least see what it says.

Mine has these settings in it for the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 Full.prq" file, which seem correct to me.

Radiobutton
"A registry entry has a specified value"

Registry key to check
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full"

Registry value to check
"Release"

Registry value data to check
"393297"

Run this prerequisite if:
"Data on target system is less than specified data"

For this last one it almost sounds like yours is set to

"Data on target system is equal to specified data"

You can see how that change alone, while subtle, could make all the difference in the world.

Chad
0 Kudos
Dawgzilla
Level 3

Hello Chad,

I did not find PreReqEditor.exe, but instead found C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2016\Support\PrereqEditor.exe and when I tried to run it I got the following message:

The InstallShield Prerequisite Editor cannot be used in the Express edition of InstallShield

So it would appear as though I need to start posting my questions in the InstallShield Express edition forum

Thank you very much for your help

Gary
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Glad to try to help. Just a side note - in the file system the file and folder names are not case sensitive by default - so all of these names are the same as far as the operating system is concerned.

PreReqEditor.exe
prereqeditor.exe
PrereqEditor.exe

etc. etc. Too many combinations to list. Generally speaking, if you try to create or copy two file names into the same folder where only the case differs you'll see a message of some sort. The actual message that you get varies depending on what a person is doing.

Thanks,
Chad
0 Kudos
mssupport
Level 2

Hey,

If you still facing the issues then you might follow these steps:
Program compatibility issues

The installation of the .NET Framework 4.5 or its point releases fails with a 1603 error code or blocks when it's running in Windows Program Compatibility mode. The Program Compatibility Assistant indicates that the .NET Framework might not have been installed correctly and prompts you to reinstall it by using the recommended setting (Program Compatibility mode). Program Compatibility mode could also have been set by the Program Compatibility Assistant on earlier failed or canceled attempts to run the .NET Framework Setup.

The .NET Framework installer cannot run in Program Compatibility mode. To resolve this blocking issue, you must ensure that the compatibility mode setting is not enabled systemwide in Registry Editor:

Choose the Start button, and then choose Run.

In the Run dialog box, type "regedit", and then choose OK.

In Registry Editor, browse to the following subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

In the Name column, look for the .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, or 4.7.1 download names, depending on which version you are installing, and delete these entries. For download names, see Install the .NET Framework for developers article.

Rerun the .NET Framework installer for version 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, or 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, or 4.7.1.

Still you have query then for full documentation you may visit Microsoft office site @ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/troubleshoot-blocked-installations-and-uninstallations and for Microsoft Live Support you can chat.

0 Kudos