cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_W
Level 6

Problem with updating sub-feature files on minor upgrade

I have an InstallScript MSI project where an optional sub-feature is not overwriting existing files when there is a minor upgrade. The upgrade updates the main project files but doesn’t seem to do anything with this feature.

Originally the files for this feature were dynamically linked into the component attached to the feature, with the “Don’t overwrite” setting set to No, but didn’t seem to do anything. Then I dropped dynamic linking and statically added the files and set the “Always Overwrite” checkbox to true, but still the original files are untouched when there is a minor upgrade.

Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong or can someone point me in the right direction on this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
mloebl
Level 4

The only time I've seen something like this is when a component was deleted (or the component guid was changed) in an existing feature. There wouldn't be any visible errors, and it wouldn't overwrite any of the files in that feature. Eventually I found an entry in the log explaining a component GUID was missing so it wouldn't lay down that sub-feature. We do nothing but Minor upgrades for now, so if I need to kill off a file, I remove the file(s) from the component and leave the component empty.

-Mike
0 Kudos