cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_N
Level 3

Problem with InstallShield UI

Hi all,

I have a problem with the InstallShield UI that I can't seem to fix!

In the Behavior view of a dialog, when I switch between Events, Subscriptions and Conditions, the UI isn't being updated to show the Subscriptions or Conditions, all I can view are the Events!

I've also noticed that in the Setup Design view, if I click on a Redistributable the UI doesn't show the details for the selected Redistributable.

I've already tried re-installing InstallShield but that hasn't made any difference at all.

Has anyone else come across this or know of a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I can answer the second question easily. The details panel is hidden by default in IS2010. Click on the Show Details button at the top of the Redistributable Frame. It is the one right beside the + and - push button objects.

As to the first problem, I was not able to reproduce the problem in my development environment. When I select User Interface > Dialogs and select a dialog behavior, I can navigate successfully between the Events, Subscriptions, and Conditions view and the UI updates correctly.
0 Kudos
Mark_N
Level 3

Hi Dan,

I don't have the Show Details button or the + and - objects either!

Mark
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Mark.N wrote:
Hi Dan,

I don't have the Show Details button or the + and - objects either!

Mark

Mark, what version of InstallShield are you using? Also, what type of project are you working on, InstallScript Install, Basic MSI Install or InstallShield MSI install.

The view I am looking at is from a Basic MSI Install using IS2010 Premium. I don't think this is a feature that would be exclusive to the premium level product, but stranger things have been known to happen. If you are using Express then someone else will need to comment on that version.

I looked at a pure InstallScript project and the view is different, there is no redistributable view, and the closest thing I can see is the object view. In this view there isn't any + or - buttons or the Show panel button. All I can do is slide the Details frame bar all the way to the right so it is no longer visible.

The InstallScript MSI Installer has the same Redistributable view as the Basic MSI view, so the buttons should be present in this view as well.

I have uploaded an image showing the view that I am looking at to show redistributable details. Hopefully it helps.

Perhaps if Debbie stumbles across this post she could better describe how to show the Redistributable Details panel.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hi Dan! New for InstallShield 2010: InstallScript projects have a Prerequisites view that looks a lot like the Redistributables view in Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects. I'm guessing, though, that Mark is using a Basic MSI project, since the other project types do not show items like events or subscriptions for dialogs.

Mark, I haven't heard of other users running into these issues. Can you perhaps post a screen shot of what you see? And can you confirm that you are using InstallShield 2010? Thanks!
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Mark,

I wonder if you are having some type of dependency problem? I would think that InstallShield would error out if you were missing a dependency to show certain objects.

It almost sounds as if you do not have enough resources to let Windows draw all objects and that memory gets low. I know I have seen funny things happen when I am low on memory where things in the UI draw in as black. Usually restarting the computer fixes this problem. This was more problematic back in the days of IS X and IS 12.

Other than that, I would personally make sure I have the latest video drivers. Maybe look at a system restore or at worse, backup all data and reinstall the OS cleanly.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

DebbieL wrote:
Hi Dan! New for InstallShield 2010: InstallScript projects have a Prerequisites view that looks a lot like the Redistributables view in Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects. I'm guessing, though, that Mark is using a Basic MSI project, since the other project types do not show items like events or subscriptions for dialogs.

Mark, I haven't heard of other users running into these issues. Can you perhaps post a screen shot of what you see? And can you confirm that you are using InstallShield 2010? Thanks!

Thanks Debbie.
0 Kudos
Mark_N
Level 3

Hi all,

Yes, I'm using InstallShield 2010 Professional and I'm creating a Basic MSI project.

I've attached a screenshot showing the Redistributables in the Setup Design view where none of the Redistributables details are showing and also a couple of screenshots showing the Dialog Behavior when clicking on the Subscriptions or Conditions tab. You can see that the right-hand pane is not being updated to reflect the selected tab.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Mark
0 Kudos
Mark_N
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
Mark,

I wonder if you are having some type of dependency problem? I would think that InstallShield would error out if you were missing a dependency to show certain objects.

It almost sounds as if you do not have enough resources to let Windows draw all objects and that memory gets low. I know I have seen funny things happen when I am low on memory where things in the UI draw in as black. Usually restarting the computer fixes this problem. This was more problematic back in the days of IS X and IS 12.

Other than that, I would personally make sure I have the latest video drivers. Maybe look at a system restore or at worse, backup all data and reinstall the OS cleanly.

Hi Dan,

This is a new PC with an Intel Core i5 processor and 8Gb of RAM running 64bit Windows 7, so I'd be surprised if it's running out of resources.

InstallShield has been working fine until a couple of days ago, and to my knowledge, nothing has been installed/removed recently.

OS re-install seems a bit drastic!

Mark
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, the Show Details button (and other buttons) is only displayed in the Redistributables view. It isn't displayed from within the Setup Design view. You may want to check to make sure that the search path is set up to include the path where the merge module is located: Tools > Options > Merge Modules tab.

I recommend contacting Support to report the issues that you are seeing. It seems like the display issues could be related to some sort of IE security setting, but it might be difficult to pinpoint what setting is actually causing the problem. Support could help you troubleshoot this. You may even want to try to download the evaluation version of InstallShield 2011, and see if you see the problem in that version, too.
0 Kudos
Mark_N
Level 3

Ah, it seems it was Internet Explorer 9 that was causing the problem.

Reverting back to IE8 seems to have fixed the issue!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, thanks for reporting that. Did reverting back to IE 8 resolve all of the issues that you described in this thread?
0 Kudos
Mark_N
Level 3

Yes Debbie, everything appears to be working as it should now!
0 Kudos