cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrightonGuy
Level 2

Problem with Automation Interface using 2011 StandAlone Build; can't create object

For some reason, I am unable to run a VBScript on my build machine (with 2011 StandAlone Build) that runs fine on my developer system (InstallShield 2011 Premier). I've tried uninstall/reinstall, modify, repair, and no luck in getting the script below to run. I've even tried to manually regsvr32.exe IswiAutomation17.dll. Any ideas?

Option Explicit
Dim pProject
Set pProject = CreateObject ("ISWiAuto17.ISWiProject")
pProject.OpenProject "C:\20100928\test.ism", False
Dim pProperty
Set pProperty = pProject.ISWiProperties.Item("ProductVersion")
pProperty.Value = "1.0.9999"
pProject.SaveProject
pProject.CloseProject

C:\20100928\SetMSIProductVersion.vbs(3, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'ISWiAuto17.ISWiProject'
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Is your build machine 64 bit? If so, see the following help topic:
Using the Automation Interface on a 64-Bit System
0 Kudos
BrightonGuy
Level 2

Thanks! That was exactly my problem.
0 Kudos
chobbs
Level 3

I'm having the same problem, but I have verified that I have a 32-bit system so that's not the problem. My code works fine on my computer with the full Installshield copy, but it breaks when I use it with just the standalone version.

Is there some way I can conifrm that I installed and registered the standalone version correctly? Is there anything else I should try?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Are you seeing the exact same error message that was mentioned in the original post in this thread, or a different one?

How did you install the Standalone Build? Did you run the installation, or did you try to copy the files over to the machine?

If you are seeing the exact same error message, you may want to try manually registering ISWiAutomation17.dll (Standalone Build Program Files Folder\System\ISWiAutomation17.dll) with Regsvr32.exe (which is installed in the System32 folder). The following help topic lists other files that need to be registered:
Installing the Standalone Build on a Build Machine

Which type of licensing are you using for the Standalone Build? Node locked or concurrent? I think most users have node locked; for that type, they need to download the License.lic file from the Product and License Center. The file should be installed to the following folder:
Standalone Build Program Files Folder\System
0 Kudos
chobbs
Level 3

Thanks for your response! My error is pretty much the same except I have a different version of Installshield. I just responded to this thread since it was so similar to my issue, but I have Installshield 12. My error is:

"ActiveX component can't create object: 'ISWiAuto17.ISWiProject'"

I installed the StandAlone build using the installation CD, and I did type in a license number during installation, so everything seemed okay. I'm not sure if I have a node or concurrent license. I'll investigate the other things you suggested...
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Oh, sorry. That's kind of an important detail.

InstallShield 12 used a library called ISWiAutomation12 for automation interface support with the full version of InstallShield. However, the InstallShield 12 Standalone Build automation interface support used a library named SAAuto12. You need to update your automation interface script accordingly, depending on whether you are using the full version of InstallShield or the Standalone Build.

Beginning with InstallShield 2009, the Standalone automation interface uses the same ISWiAutomation library that the InstallShield automation interface uses. So, if you are using InstallShield 2009 or later, you don't need to update your script to switch between InstallShield and the Standalone Build.

InstallShield 2009 also introduced other improvements. For example, the Standalone Build now uses the same directory structure that InstallShield uses for its program files. Therefore, if you need to copy a redistributable or some other file from a machine that has InstallShield to a machine that has the Standalone Build, use the same relative path. For InstallShield 2008 and earlier versions, the directory structures were different and inconsistent.
0 Kudos
chobbs
Level 3

That fixes it THANKS!!! Also, thanks for pointing out those other differences.

FYI - In my last my last post I copied the wrong error message. It should have been: "ActiveX component can't create object: 'ISWiAuto12.ISWiProject'"

Thanks again for your help!!
0 Kudos