cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkannan
Level 2

Problem passing string with a semicolon to chained msi

Hi

I have a Installscript msi project that takes parameters from a dialog and passes it to a chained msi file.

When I pass a string with a semicolon to the chained msi, it always turns the semicolon into a space when it's passed. For example when I pass the string "Data Source=MYCOMPUTER;Initial Catalog=NewDatabase" it appears as "Data Source=MYCOMPUTER Initial Catalog=NewDatabase" to the chained msi. When I pass the string via command line, it appears correctly. Is there some sort of an escape sequence that I need to substitue for the semicolon?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Does it work properly if you pass DataSource="MYCOMPUTER;Initial Catalog=NewDatabase" instead?
0 Kudos
Bluetonic
Level 3

I'm getting the same problem - tried single/double quotes on the DataSource string, escaping the quotes on the install properties but it still leaves semicolons as blank spaces after passing the arguments to the msi.

It works fine from the command line as the OP said.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Having same problem.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

One way to do it could be to make a installscript in the called msi to replace all spaces with a ;
It will work in my case but of course only if there are no spaces that should be preserved.

Best regards,
Jens
0 Kudos