cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parul_manglam
Level 3

Problem in Installing newer version of software

Hi,

I have installed one version of my application, say i've created folder SOFTWARE1.0 in my installation directory which is being installed properly. Now i've created another version of the software and have removed folder SOFTWARE1.0 from installedshield files and folders and added folder SOFTWARE1.1 instead and created setup.exe with it.

Now if I try to run this new installer, the new software is getting installed. The set up wizard is also not giving any error but there is no folder like SOFTWARE1.1 getting created, only the earlier folder SOFTWARE1.0 exists. I need both the folders to be present now on my system.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Parul
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Not applicable

Have you changed the product code, package code, upgrade code & all component GUIDs?
0 Kudos
parul_manglam
Level 3

We want only minor upgrade,so we should not change product code and upgrade code. Package code is always generated afresh by default.As far as component GUIDs is concerned, we are creating a new folder each time and it gets a new component GUID.

Regards
Parul
0 Kudos
Not applicable

You don’t have to remove SOFTWARE1.0 folder from your project. Since it is a minor upgrade, you can add SOFTWARE1.1 with your 1.0 project. As you mentioned the new package GUID is enough.

Please refer Robert’s white paper BuildingMSIUpdatesPatches. It has excellent information.
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/wp_is_BuildingMSIUpdatesPatches.pdf
0 Kudos