cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amaharja
Level 4

Problem chaining MSI

Hi,

I am facing some issues in installing chained msi. I am able to chain the msi but while running the package, the parent msi gets installed successfully but the two children msi never install. I created the msi chain using the reference - "Using Chained .MSI Packages to Componentize Your Windows Installer Setup" by David Cole. I have also set the order of the two child msi as 2 and 3 of IsChainPackage from Direct Editor. I am using Vista and InstallShield 2010.

The two children msi have the following properties:
Install condition - Not Insalled
Remove Condition - Remove = ALL
Files were streamed

Can someone please throw some light on what I am missing?

I checked the logs and it showed no error. Neither did it have any mention of the two child msi.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ajanta.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
amaharja
Level 4

It looks like the Windows Installer Version in my system was 4.0 and chaining is supported from version 4.5 onwards. I have installed Windows Installer Version 4.5 now, but the installation of the chain is still not successful. This time, the parent msi is installed but the error - "The Wizard was interrupted before could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again." is seen and the parent msi also gets uninstalled. The child msi is never installed.

Can someone please help?

Ajanta.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

This sounds like the issue that is described in KB Q205786. I recommend applying the hotfix in that article. I think it will resolve the issue.
0 Kudos
amaharja
Level 4

Debbie,

Thanks a lot for the help. It did indeed work, like miracle 🙂 🙂
0 Kudos