cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heiner_violet
Level 7

Prevent line-break in ProductName on the InstallWelcome dialog

(Installshield 2008 Basic-MSI)

On the InstallWelcome dialog there is displayed a text like "Welcome to the Installshield Wizard for [Productname]". Now my Productname contains a blank e.g. "My Product" and it is broken up into two lines which I don't wish.
How can I prevent a line-break inside Productname?

Thanks in advance, H.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

Go to the Dialog in question, click on the text control and resize it so that the line break either occurs before the start of "My Product" or after.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Thanks Nick for your quick reply,
On the text control there is displayed the property [ProductName]. And this is broken down to the next line as a whole. Now, we ship our setup with different product names, some of which contain spaces and others not. So on the text control there has to be [ProductName] rather than "My product". I thought of wrapping or grouping strings, so that the line-break would be prevented.
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

I presume you would like the text to be on one line if possible - so you can stretch this control to the edge of the dialog, but if the ProductName is so long it will still wrap at which point you want to wrap from the start of the ProductName.

So you are caught between two hard places, you could size the control to always wrap at the start curing the space issue when it exists, but there are times you don't need a second line.

However, I assume you mean that you ship the same product 'OEM'ed, which is what I do. The only way I know how to do this is to actually copy the .ism project file for each OEM and then edit it - so why can't part of the OEM process be to size this control accordingly in each project when needed.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Hi Nick,
you are right, we ship the same product OEM'd. I don't want to copy my ism-files because this could yield into big trouble when changing something in the main setup.
I applied your firstly suggested solution of resizing the text control. Now [ProductName] is always at the start of the second line - also if it's splitted into small parts by spaces like "My Product".
I simply thought of another solution because the property [ProductName] appears on several dialog labels. I would prefer to prevent any line-break inside [ProductName]. Also, any future changes of the text on the control could make necessary a further resize of the control.
Best regards, H.
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

I'm not aware of any property within InstallShield which will force the complete [ProductName] regardless of spaces to the same line. So there is no real solution, Sorry.

I'm interested to know though, how do you OEM the product without having multiple .ism files?

When I OEM my product, I have to change more than just the [ProductName] entry, I have to change URLs, CompanyName, String table entries, Support Telephone Numbers, [INSTALLDIR] and a few other things. So I stablise my master installer and then copy and create the OEMs varients, it is not viable to keep doing all the conversion work everytime I build an OEM just because my developers have provided an updated binary.

Nick.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

I'm using the Installshield automation interface to build the OEM setups.
For each OEM setup I wrote a VBScript file that opens the setup.ism project, modifies properties, paths and so on and builds the setup.
After having some trouble with finding the setup prerequisites of my project, this seems to be a convenient way.
H.
0 Kudos