cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Installing on 64 bit machines - Wow6432Node?

I have a 32 bit Basic MSI install project that has to generate a few registry entries for the application to use when ran.

Installing on all platforms works correctly, except for Vista64 bit. After the install the keys are all placed under the key:
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\OurCompanyName
instead of just:
HKLM\Software\OurCompanyName

Is there anything that my install can do to just place them under our root keys under HKLM\Software\OurCompanyName ??

If not then does this mean that the app should detect if it is running under 64 bit and look for the keys under this Wow6432Node key?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
datamine
Level 6

This is all handled transparently by 64-bit Windows, so you don't have to worry about it. 32-bit apps will automatically have their registry entries installed to, and pick up them up from, the Wow6432Node branch, in a similar way that Program Files is substituted by Program Files (x86) for 32-bit apps.

Ian.
0 Kudos
nicknack
Level 2

What if the files I'm trying to install are ODBC drivers that I need to have show up in the "Data Sources (ODBC)" applet? When the registry entries automatically get put in Wow6432Node\ODBCINST.INI then they are not available when I go to "Create a New Data Source".
0 Kudos