cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Prevent EXE from appearing on Main Windows Start Shortcuts

Everything seems to be working well with the setup program I've created with InstallShield.

However, after installation, my executable (*.EXE file) automatically gets added to the main Windows Start menu.

Not just under the shortcut I've specified, but on the main list when the Windows button is pressed. How do I prevent that? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
MartinaIFER
Level 4

Hi,

I have the same problem. Have you found a solution meanwhile?

BR,

Martina
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

Hi,

Can you provide what type of installer project is it? can you generate and check in the log file? if possible mention the os where this is happening and preferably a screen shot of the exact issue will help?
0 Kudos
MartinaIFER
Level 4

Hi,

I am using InstallScript project. The problem is only when installing on Windows 7 as far as I know.
I am trying to organize my shortcuts under "MyApp" directory. It works fine. However, in addition to that, one more shortcut is always created after installation under startup; this shortcut is random, I mean it randomly uses any of the other shortcuts defined under the "MyApp".

Hopefully the screenshots will illustrate what I mean.

Thank you very much in advance,

Martina
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

If you rightclick and take the properties of the start menu - see attached image. Store and display the recently opened programs in the start menu is checked, once the installation is done as you trying to launch or access this program that is display in the start menu. This a feature in Windows7.

You can try not to create any shortcut and try to install and check still you are seeing it in the recently opened ones list.

Can you tell me why showing this is a problem ? if at all it is ?
0 Kudos
MartinaIFER
Level 4

Hi,

Thank you very much for your effort!

The matter is that it picks up (randomly?) one of our tools - not the main program - and lists it in the start menu. Everything is fine under the start/all programs folder.

The structure of our shortcuts should be (and under the Star/All programs really is) like this:

MyApp Folder
...MyApp.exe
...MyApp Tools folder
......MyAppTool1
......MyAppTool2

If MyApp.exe were in the stat menu, it would be OK, too. But it is mostly any MyAppTool that is in the start menu.
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

did you try not to create any shortcut and try to install and check still you are seeing it in the recently opened ones list??
0 Kudos
MartinaIFER
Level 4

If I remove all shortcuts from my installation, no shortcuts are created (and no shortcuts in the recently opened programs).
0 Kudos
shawntp
Level 3

I am seeing this also on Windows 7. I isntall to a standard start menu folder and at seemingly random a program that we isntall new for the first time is populating the recently run programs list in the start menu.

It seems to be something in windows picking up the new app.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

It's been 3 and a half years and we still haven't been able to resolve this. I just noticed this problem in one of our setups and searched the forum, only to discover I created this thread in 2010.

Has anyone been able to add shortcuts to EXE files for the program's folder and not have it appear on the Windows start menu? Thanks.
0 Kudos