cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timstspry
Level 7

Prerequisite Question

Hello, I have a basic MSI project that I have approximately 5 prerequisites for. My question is, I want to download only 1 of the prerequisites and bundle in the other 4. The one prerequisite that I do not want to bundle in is the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 which I have checked the box for the (download from web) version of this prerequisite.

However, when I try to compile my project, I get error messages stating that I have not provided download URL information for the 4 prerequisites that I am bundling into my installer.

Is this an all or nothing proposition? If you elect to have one prerequisite downloaded from the web, does this force you to have all prerequisites downloaded from the web?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
lasiewicz
Level 6

The way the setup launcher works is it will look for the download location if it can't find it.

Uncheck the checkbox for download for the web your prequesties and include the web release of .net Run it on a system with no framework and notice that it will correctly download it when the complete .net framework is not included.

🙂
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Did that, that is when it started prompting me for the URL for the other prerequisites in my project.

Tim
0 Kudos
cbragg
Level 7

In your releases view and on the setup.exe tab ensure that the option 'Installshield Prerequisites Location' is set to 'Follow individual Selections' then in your redistributable view, right click each of the pre-reqs, select properties and then change the build location to either 'Copy From Cource Media' or 'Extract From Setup.exe' if you want to distribute them or if you want it to download select 'Download From The Web'
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thanks, I will give this a try? By the way, what is the difference between copy from source and extract from setup.exe?

Thanks!

Tim
0 Kudos
cbragg
Level 7

Copy from source means that the pre-req sits alongside your setup.exe in the same folder and your setup.exe just points to it. Extract from setup.exe means that the build process compresses the pre-req into the setup.exe and is temporarily extracted and run during installation. If you tend to distribute over the web then it's nice to have a single download and extract from setup.exe is best but with a cd it's best to have copy from source media for speed
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thanks, this is very helpful. I am trying out your suggestions now on a virtual machine.

Tim
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Your suggestion worked very well. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Tim
0 Kudos