cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_shielder_
Level 6

Prerequisite Bug? .NET 2.0 SP1

When I include the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 prerequisite, in the properties I am setting the build location to “Download From The Web”. By doing this I thought the Framework would NOT be included in my setup.exe and would be downloaded from the web if needed.

How can I check for the prerequisite and have it downloaded from the web if needed but not include the framework in my setup.exe?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Alfetta159
Level 4

I have a project that has .NET 2.0 SP1 as a prerequisite which specifically installs from a local source. But that source is not embedded in the Setup.exe. It is a ISSetupPrerequisites folder.

Are you sure that it is embedded in the setup.exe executable?
0 Kudos
_shielder_
Level 6

Yes, because if I don't include the Framework Prereq my setup file is reduced in size by 20mb.
0 Kudos
Alfetta159
Level 4

Just making sure here...

In your Release, you should have the .NET Framework location set to "Do Not Include". That's in the .NET/J# tab.

And in the Redistributables, you should have whatever flavor (x32, x64, etc.) of .NET 2.0 SP1 checked, and when you right click on that item and choose properties, you set the build location to "Download from the Web"...

Right?
0 Kudos
_shielder_
Level 6

Yes, I have verified both.
0 Kudos
_shielder_
Level 6

I can’t believe most people distribute the 2.0 Framework with their application. I seem like such a waste packaging it just in case it needs to be loaded on the end users machine.

There must be a way around this…
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you haven't already, you'll also want to check what's configured for the InstallShield Prerequisites Location setting on the Setup.exe tab for your release in the Releases view.

Note that you can configure a location for an individual prerequisite by specifying it for the prerequisite's properties in the Redistributables view, as Alfetta159 mentioned. You can also use the release setting to override that location for all of the prerequisites in your project.

For more information, see Specifying a Location for a Specific InstallShield Prerequisite.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
_shielder_
Level 6

The Releases view setting was the problem!

Thanks Debbie and Alfetta159
0 Kudos